• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Out Of the Box Scheduler - Which Can execute code deployed on Weblogic

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Friends,
I need some help to find out "Out Of the Box" scheduler, which can execute the code deployed on Weblogic (As part of EAR/WAR).

Our Current Environment:
1. App Server - Weblogic
2. Deployed/Installed on - SunOS 5.10
3. Java - JDK6
4. Current scheduler - Autosys
5. Standalone Spring batch - This is completely outside of Weblogic, as a different module

Current Process:
Autosys triggers the shell scripts at specified time for different jobs
Shell script loads all the jars in classpath, and executes a Spring batch 'Tasklet'
Tasklet then does rest of the business logic.

What is required:
I am trying to find an "Out of the box" scheduler, which can schedule the batches/jobs
Can trigger code within Weblogic (Because we want to eliminate standalone J2SE )
If possible - Have a UI using which we can track the status of the jobs.

Why Change:
We have been told that - Oracle is removing support for standalone J2SE in near future
If we are using Autosys - standalone J2SE would be required - which we want to eliminate
Based on our information- there is no way Autosys can directly call - code deployed in Weblogic

Tried to Find Myself:
I tried to find such scheduler myself, and got options of Quartz / Weblogic Job Scheduler / Timer with Work Manager.
Not in favour of writing code for scheduling/UI to check Job status / Job specific logs etc...

Not sure what is the best option suitable for my case.

Thanks for your help and time. Please let me know if more information is required towards solution.

Thanks,
Kedar

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch, Kedar!

I'd do some more research before worrying about J2SE disappearing. It's what most non-server Java applications run under. There has been talk for some time about how the JVM might fracture into something more like a small core with add-ons, but the basic functionality needed for Java apps has never been in question that I know of.

There are 2 popular schedulers for Java shops.

Within applications (web or non-web) the Quartz Scheduler is popular. And, incidentally, since you mentioned that you have Spring, Spring has a scheduler component subsystem that can use Quartz or other similar Java schedulers.

Within the OS (for shell scripts and such), the "cron" scheduler is standard within Linux, MacOS, and Unix - including Solaris/SunOS. For Windows, the equivalent is the Windows Scheduler.

For your Spring batch needs, you might also find Apache ServiceMix, based on Apache Karaf, to be useful. It has support for Quartz scheduling of jobs. I'm using it to do periodic scans of my email inbox for a certain type of mail which it purges of unwanted content and reformats to a more readable form.

If you are using Autosys to schedule stuff on other machines, I'm not sure what I would suggest out of the box, although a lot of recent systems use an MQ facility such as RabbitMQ as a common infrastructure to control remote agents.

Also, I think Oracle may have end-of-lifed Java 6, so that's probably a more immediate concern than an unlikely disappearance of Autosys support from Oracle. How well CA will support it is another matter, of course.

Kedar Gosavi
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Thanks Tim for quick response.

The pointers you have suggested are really helpful, and would play a part in how we manage this situation.

We are working on different options/alternatives, and would keep you posted on updates.

Many thanks one more time, for providing inputs in timely manner.

The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts -Marcus Aurelius ... think about this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic