• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Overloaded function for 2D arrays

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am having a hard time figuring out how to incorporate my sum function for a 1 dimensional array into my sum function for a 2 dimensional array. I wrote my function for a code and it does compile through, but the output doesn't come out with the sum, but outputs zero instead. I want to understand how to play with these arrays, and understand how to play around with overloaded functions. I have other aspects of arrays I want to code into this program, such as trying to flatten a 2d array into a 1d array, and also make a boolean function to see if all the elements in a 2d array are the same length, and I feel like if I can understand how to make this sum function work with the 2d array, I will be able to figure out how to do the rest with trial and error.

Marshal
Mac OS X VI Editor BSD Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, current code you posted does not compile, so it cannot output zero as you stated.

Line 22 should be looking similarly (but not the same) as line 16. Look carefully and you'll see where you did mistake.
Note: I haven't checked rectangular and flatten methods - first things first

Jeff Sak wrote:I will be able to figure out how to do the rest with trial and error.

Usually this approach is not good. Campbell says you could try 1000 attempts and you will likely find the right way to do it, OR you could think about it, and get it right sooner

Liutauras Vilda
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also, if your class name wouldn't be as it is, I might wouldn't tell you, but:
  • Class names suppose to start with an upper case, that is conventional, so please to follow that.
  • In Java multidimensional arrays are not truly 2D or 3D... these are array of arrays. Look up on google for the explaining articles (in case you are curious). So better call the class MultidimensionalArray.
  •  
    Bartender
    Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Jeff Sak wrote:I wrote my function for a code and it does compile...

No it doesn't - at least not what you've shown us - because line 33 is wrong.

And this goes back to what Liutauras said in his post:
      first things first

Get rid of everything that you're not ready to test, and concentrate on the two sum() methods you're having trouble with.

When - and ONLY when - you have them working, add back your rectangular() method (which looks to me like it should be called square(); or, more correctly, isSquare()), and test that.

And when - and ONLY when - rectangular() is working, add back your flatten() method...

Do you get the idea? All that extra code is distracting you from the job at hand, which is to get your sum() methods working properly.

HIH

Winston

Jeff Sak
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    My apologies, I had copied a the wrong set of code. I have posted the code that is coming up with a zero when I run and compile it. I just tested it out and it does still come back with 0.

Sheriff
    Eclipse IDE Postgres Database VI Editor Chrome Java Ubuntu
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    You're not doing anything with the return value in line ten, sum(r).

Jeff Sak
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I'm trying to recall my previous sum function for a 1d array into my 2d array function, but I'm not sure how to input it so that it shows the return value for sum(r). In my head the sum function should be working, but for each element in the 2D array when I recall the function, and when I input return sum, it should have the sum of all the numbers in my 2D array, but that's not the case.

Liutauras Vilda
    Marshal
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    i being evaluated during the program run and added to sum. Each time i gets different value, right?

This method bellow also evaluates every loop iteration, so it returns some kind of value. What do you need to do with that value in order to have an effect to your sum?

Jeff Sak
    Ranch Hand
    • Likes 1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thank you for letting me figure out the input on my own while guiding me to the answer. I input sum += sum(r) and it worked! Now time to figure out the other two functions I am trying to output.

Liutauras Vilda
    Marshal
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Bingo, well done

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic