• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Browser ignoring the <APPLET> tag

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I have used java in the past, but not enough to be as proficient as I'd like to be. I have purchased the OCA and OCP study guides from Scott and Jeanne to help me step up my game.
That being said, I have just installed the SE 8 JDK (version 1.8.0_74) 64 bit on Windows 7, waiting for the study guides to arrive.
When I try to run either the Animator or Bar Chart example htmls from the demos.zip file, I get the following error:
alt="Your browser understands the <APPLET> tag but isn't running the applet, for some reason." Your browser is completely ignoring the <APPLET> tag!
I get this error whether I try to run it in Internet Explorer or Firefox - both are the latest versions.
Any ideas as to what the problem/solution is?
This is probably a real basic question, but I could use any help you could offer.

Thank you,
Mike

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mike, welcome to the Ranch!

Here's a link to Oracle's page on how to enable Java in your browser: https://www.java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml

It looks like it's fairly up to date.

However: you'll notice that Chrome doesn't support applets any more. I've heard that other browsers may follow suit, but that hasn't happened yet. That's because basically applets are a dead technology because of their security failures. So if you can't get applets to run I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just move on to the next example.

Mike McManus
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the link, Paul.

However...
The part that talks about Firefox: I cannot find the plug-in the link mentions "Java (TM) Platform". I looked through all 190+ entries and it was not there. Also, I may have misspoke, my Firefox version is 44.0.2 - unsure if that is the latest for Win 7.
The part that talks about Internet Explorer: I followed the instructions and "allow scripting of Java applets" was already enabled (no changes made).
And I verified that "Enable Java content in the browser" is checked in the Java Control Panel.

So, following the instructions from the link you provided did not yield anything. I still cannot run the demos I mentioned.

Mike

Greenhorn
Netbeans IDE MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You may check https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/use-java-plugin-to-view-interactive-content#w_iaee-java
It said that so far 64 bit java is not supported by Firefox.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Error:  alt="Your browser understands the <APPLET> tag but isn't running the applet, for some reason." Your browser is completely ignoring the <APPLET> tag!
IE 11
Java: 8.0_201

I have listed the error and the computing environment that I am using while starting OCA training.  Please help resolve this issue.  

Thank you

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch

As you will have seen from the earlier parts of this discussion, many browsers no longer execute applets. I tried searching and found this, but I am not sure how useful it will be.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic