• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

40% on Java SE 6 Programmer Certified Professional 1Z0-851.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi. I did the exam in february in my country, Spain.

I did a course for non workers which gave me a free purchase for the Java SE 6 Programmer Certified Professional 1Z0-851.
So i studied during 1 month the book of Kathy Sierra to try to pass the exam. I finished the entire book and all was right.
But i didnt do too many test, just doring 1 week.
I did the exam in english because i think is better control the english language to program than do it in spanish.

I knew i could fail the exam but when i saw my 40% i was happy because i never touched java before the course i did so it was really good for me and i was happy.
Then i though, well i can try it again during this year but at the moment i can feel i can do a 100% in the exam.
But then i didnt care again about java and i started to do other things and until now.
So how can i get motivated again to try pass the exam?. What did i do wrong in my first try?
If you can help me in some way i can appreciate it.
Sorry for my english.

Have a good day.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Your English is good.
Next time give yourself more time to study. Read K&B book more than 3 time. And try mock test.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are new to Java, I suggest writing as much code as you can to test the new APIs you are learning. Don't take the book's words for granted: test everything. And make sure you test edge cases as well.

As for taking the actual exam, it takes practice going through complex questions and answering them quickly. Try to do as many mocks as you can, and make sure you time yourself while doing them, so you have an idea of what pace you should keep for the real exam. It's a skill in itself, and it takes practice.

I'm sure you'll do better next time, all you need to do is prepare for it carefully.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sergej Smoljanov wrote:Your English is good.
Next time give yourself more time to study. Read K&B book more than 3 time. And try mock test.

Reading a book more than three times means reading it at least four times.

Seriously, I can think of nothing more time wasting than reading a programming book four times.

If you are completely new to programming, then you will probably need to read the book more than once, but twice should be enough. You might need to visit bits a third time, but you definitely don't need to read a book cover to cover three times.

The key is to actually write code after each chapter. Programming is one of those things that you must practise to get good at.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My recommendation for preparation is to "read, read, read", and "code, code, code" (iterate between them).

Also we can apply "Test First" (Just like Test First Development) towards exam preparation: take a mock exam and (most likely) we will fail because of no preparation, but we can prepare and "run" the tests again. When our tests pass, we are ready to take the actual exam

Jairo Dominguez
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks everyone.

My problem with the book of Kathy is that her examples are like now class Dog, then class Elephant , then class Notebook, i mean she doesnt give you examples to test.

I would like to test what she is saying with programs that can apply the knowledges at the moment.

For example if you teach me the exceptions try to give me the opportunity to apply the exceptions in one programm and not just teach me what they are cause this is not just for memorize is for apply in the programs.
So I want to know if there is a book or a page or even in your forum where I can apply every chapter from Kathy´s book to apply it in a Java program.

Otherwise I think is over for me in the road to pass the exam and in the road to learn Java.
Java is funny but the only thing i remember at this moment is to make classes and use inherate on them or call a reference from one to another but nothing more, and I know to do that not cause i prefer the inheritance to other things, I know to do that because I understood it in theorical and practical terms.

And about mock exams my problem is the same than with Kathy´s book, when i fail i don´t know why i fail, noone tell me hey bro how are you so idiot? did you not see the class was an inner class?, really bro you are worst than a nightmare, no, it´s not like that, it´s like, you are wrong!, 1 more fail for your exam, and i am well ok thanks a for telling me.

And if you say hey why no copy and paste the code to see what the IDE tell you and then you can understand why you failed. All i can say it´s well you can read what the IDE tell you but it will tell you why the code can be failing and sometimes maybe you can understand why but it will never explain you why you failed and why the fail was not the thing you thought.

Well, my English still sucks but I tried to explain myself the best i can withouth translators to prove I try to learn failing and improving like you maybe can question if i do in the Java world.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jairo Dominguez wrote:For example if you teach me the exceptions try to give me the opportunity to apply the exceptions in one programm and not just teach me what they are cause this is not just for memorize is for apply in the programs.
So I want to know if there is a book or a page or even in your forum where I can apply every chapter from Kathy´s book to apply it in a Java program.

And if you say hey why no copy and paste the code to see what the IDE tell you and then you can understand why you failed. All i can say it´s well you can read what the IDE tell you but it will tell you why the code can be failing and sometimes maybe you can understand why but it will never explain you why you failed and why the fail was not the thing you thought.

Copy/pasting the code into notepad and making changes to it does help. That way you see the effects of subtle changes.

Also, Kathy and Bert have a book full of mock exams. They have a few pages of suggestions about how to practice changing the code to learn in there.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic