• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What is PEGA

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is Pega a language or a framework? What relation to Java? Competitor?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm not sure what you're asking about - this? It's the only software-related hit Google provides on the first few pages, but it doesn't seem to be related to Java.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
pega is a tool to generate java framework codes. every java developer needs to know about. please provide some more details guys..

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Prakash Attur wrote:every java developer needs to know about.

I don't think so.

Prakash Attur wrote:
please provide some more details guys..

Ulf has already provided the link to their homepage. Other than that, I haven't seen any documentation when I did a google search.

Prakash Mani - Attur
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
why i said every java developer need to know about this is because some big organisations started to use this tool and they are having separate team to work with that tool.. they got positive result with this tool.. so i guessed in future some more organisations may use this tool since the development time is very less if we use this.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Prakash Attur wrote:why i said every java developer need to know about this is because some big organisations started to use this tool and they are having separate team to work with that tool.. they got positive result with this tool.. so i guessed in future some more organisations may use this tool since the development time is very less if we use this.

Let me get this straight: Yesterday you knew nothing about this at all, and as of today you've identified it as an upcoming trend? What happened?

Prakash Mani - Attur
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
yes i have discussed with my friend today about it. he said in our office too we are using the tool and it may have good future as they got good results from that tool. i just said what he told to me. is anything wrong? sorry if i did any mistakes..

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So what is it? I can't imagine it's very useful.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

David Newton wrote:So what is it? I can't imagine it's very useful.

There's a lot of mystery and hype surrounding Pega and other similar platforms. It's essentially a platform for describing business processes and workflow in a way that the descriptions get turned more-or-less directly into software, or at least turned into requirements that have a fighting chance of getting through the translation into software. Pretty much the principal user of a system like this is the $100 million+ company, it's in widespread use in banking and finance. It's used in a whole lot of scenarios where there are complicated business rules (the kind of rules which if not communicated properly can end up with executives going to jail), and it's used as a tool for all kinds of analytics where the workflow descriptions must be done by people with domain specific knowledge. It's actually pretty neat stuff, but its value isn't apparent to people who don't have the kinds of problems addressed by this type of tool.

Greenhorn
Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server Chrome
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Pega is a Business Process Management tool. It is developed on Java and uses OOP and java concepts. And the big advantage is we don't have to have to build the system from the scratch like any conventional programming. It is becoming popular because of that, though most conventional programmers would disagree. And also because of it is agile way, Flexibility,and being extensible.

We design the Business Process Flow (E.g. Order management System, Call Center Management, Fiance, Healthcare anything which has a Business flow) and decide the functionality we need to the Flow. Pega does the rest. But of course we need to think in java and Javascript, JSP in order to fulfill Client's Requirements. Having strong analytical skills, Understanding of Core OO approaches is a must in using this tool. And also there are lot of freamworks built on the Pega Process Commander in order to support various aspects of business requirements.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As for my knowledge pega is a language yet more or less a framework. But I like to describe it as a framework. Because there are no such pega codings.

Mostly the UI manipulation will do the work for us. It resides in a server.

Actually we can write SQL, Java, HTML, etc codes to support extra functionalists. That is the major connection between pega and other languages.

But adding additional language codes will be considered as violation, where you would not stick in to best practices that they have suggested.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
PRPC or PEGA Rules Process Commander is not a language/compiler etc. Its a BPM tool. It is used as a work flow processing tool in which you build applications and deploy them as web services or just intranet. This tool is used mostly in Finance/Banking/Health care industry where there is a need of streamlined process flow. The process flow may consist of human intervention steps(UI forms - Manual Tasks) or Straight through processing steps(WebServices, MQ, JAVA invocation etc). This tool provides ready made frame work which consists of a process monitoring application in which a user logs in and is able to see tasks that are assigned to him and can also see dashboards/reports and also many administrative tasks. There are also notifications/integration as well as SLA escalations built in the tool. This tool falls in niche category because of the licensing cost and also the expertise and certified developers needed to develop and design an application in PEGA. Big banks and Health care establishments use PEGA for their internal functioning. E.g. Credit Risk analysis of a particular financial entity by a bank. Maintaining life cycle of a Drug undergoing research and development.

Virendra
PEGA CSA

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic