• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Beginning JavaScript with DOM Scripting and Ajax by Christian Heilmann

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
<pre>Author/s : Christian Heilmann
Publisher : Apress
Category : Web design, HTML and JavaScript
Review by : Andrew Monkhouse
Rating : 9 horseshoes
</pre>
Up until now, most JavaScript books I have seen have not really described how to be a good JavaScript programmer � most of them have lead by example (which is how many JavaScript programmers I know learnt JavaScript). Unfortunately learning JavaScript by simply viewing other people's code without understanding why it was written the way it was could also lead to learning by bad example.

Christian Heilmann's "Beginning JavaScript with DOM Scripting and Ajax" is different � it teaches the reader the concepts that will help them to become a good JavaScript programmer. Perhaps more importantly, it teaches how to use JavaScript, CSS, DOM, and Ajax in a degradable manner, so that all visitors to your web site will be able to access it. Christian explains not only the guidelines for developing good code, but the reasons why it is important.

Christian's passion for creating maintainable, standards compliant, usable websites is clearly visible in his writing. Throughout the book he reiterates key issues that good programmers should know, and demonstrates them in his code.

This is an excellent book on JavaScript, and one that I will thoroughly recommend to anybody new to JavaScript programming. I also recommend it to anyone who plans to make their website more accessible to a wider audience (and who doesn't want that?).

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

tumbleweed
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
On to my whish list

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One click away from my wishlist too. I was looking for people who read it.
https://coderanch.com/t/118778/HTML-JavaScript/Beginning-JavaScript-DOM-Scripting-Ajax

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic