wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Love the new MD banner! Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Love the new MD banner!" Watch "Love the new MD banner!" New topic
Forums: Meaningless Drivel Ranch Office
Author

Love the new MD banner!

Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
161

Have others noticed the banner that's currently in rotation, promoting the Meaningless Drivel forum? Like it? It's been created by one of our moderators (any guesses? )

Speaking of banners, does anyone have any other banner ideas? Stuff that is fun to make banners for. Stuff that is wacky and weird (and cowboy-esque). Stuff that goes to different forums or feature spots on the site. Ideas?








[Thumbnail for md-pie.png]


[My Blog] [JavaRanch Journal]
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender

Joined: Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 7552
    
  18

Jaikiran Pai wrote:Have others noticed the banner that's currently in rotation, promoting the Meaningless Drivel forum? Like it? It's been created by one of our moderators (any guesses? )

Being what is commonly known in British circles as a "fat git", I applaud any banner that promotes food; however, I fear that there's something I'm missing about the word 'pie' - or am I overengineering again? It wouldn't be the first time.

Winston

Isn't it funny how there's always time and money enough to do it WRONG?
Articles by Winston can be found here
Tim Cooke
Bartender

Joined: Mar 28, 2008
Posts: 838
    
  40

I'm not 100% sure about the Pie reference myself. It's either a reference to folks swapping food recipes. Or given the way this thread turned out then it could refer to the feeding of trolls.


Tim Driven Development
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
161

Winston Gutkowski wrote:however, I fear that there's something I'm missing about the word 'pie' - or am I overengineering again?



You aren't over-engineering. The fact that pie comes up so often in these forums is because Paul Wheaton, the Trailboss, likes pie Furthermore, Paul has always wanted MD to be a lively place on this site. So what better way to promote MD than have a banner which has pie!

For those of you who aren't aware, we have a "pie day" every year, where the moose turns into a pie.
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
161

Jaikiran Pai wrote:
Speaking of banners, does anyone have any other banner ideas? Stuff that goes to different forums or feature spots on the site. Ideas?


One thing that comes to mind is the CodeRanch badges. Did you know that you could have a CodeRanch badge of your own and even embed them in your sites, like blogs? The URL for getting a badge of your own is of the form:



Replace the id value in that URL with your own coderanch member id and you'll see your own badge. Perhaps, we could have a banner which promotes this feature.



Tim Cooke
Bartender

Joined: Mar 28, 2008
Posts: 838
    
  40

I never knew about the badges. That's amazing!

A little suggestion/feature request: I am intensely proud of my cows and would love it if they were on the badge too.
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
161

Tim Cooke wrote:I never knew about the badges. That's amazing!

I have a feeling many other ranchers don't know about it either.

Tim Cooke wrote:
A little suggestion/feature request: I am intensely proud of my cows and would love it if they were on the badge too.

Showing the number of cows earned, on the badge, came up just recently and we are working on implementing it. So it's going to show up soon.

Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9953
    
161

Jaikiran Pai wrote:
Jaikiran Pai wrote:
Speaking of banners, does anyone have any other banner ideas? Stuff that goes to different forums or feature spots on the site. Ideas?


One thing that comes to mind is the CodeRanch badges. Did you know that you could have a CodeRanch badge of your own and even embed them in your sites, like blogs?
...

Perhaps, we could have a banner which promotes this feature.



Thanks to our in-house banner artist, we now have a banner for this and it's been put in rotation at the top of the page.

More ideas are welcome!
Chan Ag
Bartender

Joined: Sep 06, 2012
Posts: 1000
    
  16
I like the banner.
 
With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
 
subject: Love the new MD banner!
 
Similar Threads
Complete banner function committed to CVS
how can i remove tomcat banner ?
Heavy weight screen banner
Need help with applet
New forum for Google app engine for Java