Win a copy of The Java Performance Companion this week in the Performance forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

funny or gross?

 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3752
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
One thing that I have observed while watching hollywood movies is that usually, 90% of the time, comedy scenes or situations involve poop or pee. Someone stepping into someone's shit. A baby shaking poop filled diaper. Poop being thrown here and there. Animal pissing on someone. Someone pissing on another's face. Someone touching or even eating pool or drinking/tasting piss, inadvertently of course, but the audience being fully aware of what it is.

Even stand up comedians try hard to bring poop or piss somehow or the other into their material.

Do people really find this funny? I find it extremely gross. Sometimes when I am in a movie theater, while I cringe at such scenes, I see people laughing their asses off. Really, people? Uhgggg.
 
Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
Posts: 42968
73
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
90%? Wow. There might be a selection bias at play. I'd estimate it at 10-20 % for the movies I watch, and I think that's true both for Hollywood and non-Hollywood movies.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3752
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ulf Dittmer wrote:90%? Wow. There might be a selection bias at play. I'd estimate it at 10-20 % for the movies I watch, and I think that's true both for Hollywood and non-Hollywood movies.

90% seems high but that's really how I feel. In fact, you will see this every one of Adam Sandler movies (which I like very much), Hangover type movies, college/school comedies, romantic comedies. They just lose no opportunity to bring in sh*t


90% is conservative. I bet you can't name two comedy movies that do not use any poop or pee joke. Seriously, no kidding
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64968
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Anilprem wrote:In fact, you will see this every one of Adam Sandler movies

Well, there's your problem. I couldn't be paid to sit through such dreck.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3752
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bear Bibeault wrote:
Paul Anilprem wrote:In fact, you will see this every one of Adam Sandler movies

Well, there's your problem. I couldn't be paid to sit through such dreck.

Yeah, I get tired of sitting on that elitist perch sometimes.
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64968
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm not trying to be elitist at all; I just can't stand Adam Sandler and ilk. But you say that you don't like potty humor, and then say that you like and see movies starring a "comedian" whose major schtick is potty humor, and are disgusted when that's what you get. Kind of cause meeting effect.

If you don't like potty humor, simply don't watch it.

Me? I'm a huge fan of non-elistist slapstick.
 
Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
Posts: 42968
73
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
"I bet you can't name two comedy movies that do not use any poop or pee joke."

You lose. Swingers and Office Space. Please avail yourself of my Amazon wish list to settle your lost bet.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3752
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ulf Dittmer wrote:"I bet you can't name two comedy movies that do not use any poop or pee joke."

You lose. Swingers and Office Space. Please avail yourself of my Amazon wish list to settle your lost bet.

Sure, I will watch them. I have seen Office Space. It was very good. Will watch again.

Neither of them are on Netflix though
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender
Posts: 12146
30
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The Blues Brothers. Caddy Shack has a poop joke (one of the funniest moments in all film history, IMHO), but not really poop.

Ghostbusters.

I don't think Monty Python and the Holy Grail does.

i could keep going.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3752
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bear Bibeault wrote:I'm not trying to be elitist at all; I just can't stand Adam Sandler and ilk. But you say that you don't like potty humor, and then say that you like and see movies starring a "comedian" whose major schtick is potty humor, and are disgusted when that's what you get. Kind of cause meeting effect.

If you don't like potty humor, simply don't watch it.

Me? I'm a huge fan of non-elistist slapstick.


Well, it is not all potty humor or not even a major part and I like the rest of the stuff. So I wouldn't call them all dreck.
What I am saying is that they do have potty humor and wondering whether people really find it funny or only the writers think it is funny.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3752
10
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
fred rosenberger wrote:The Blues Brothers. Caddy Shack has a poop joke (one of the funniest moments in all film history, IMHO), but not really poop.

Ghostbusters.

I don't think Monty Python and the Holy Grail does.

i could keep going.

Great! My to-watch list keeps increasing.
Best bet ever made
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64968
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
 
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 24211
35
Chrome Eclipse IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Anilprem wrote:
What I am saying is that they do have potty humor and wondering whether people really find it funny or only the writers think it is funny.


I think there must be people who find it funny, but that doesn't mean that everyone does, nor does it mean that that's the only thing that people find funny.

When I saw "Little Miss Sunshine" in a theatre, I had an absolutely fabulous and unique experience. When the movie gets to the big punchline -- if you've seen it, you know what I mean -- everyone, every single person in the theatre, laughed out loud. They laughed until tears came to their eyes, and their stomachs hurt, and they couldn't breathe. Every single person. Not a poop joke in the whole movie. Probably the funniest film I've ever seen.
 
Ryan McGuire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1068
4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
fred rosenberger wrote:I don't think Monty Python and the Holy Grail does.


Some poop-related humor from MP&tHG:

- When King Arthur rides past the "Bring out your dead" scene: Who's that then? I dunno... Must be a king. How can you tell? He hasn't got s*** all over him.

- The French calling King Arthur a wiper of other people's bottoms.

- When Tim the Wizard takes the knights to the cave, Sir Robin mentions, "I soiled my armor I was so scared".

- During one (possibly more) of the animated scenes, a row of trumpeters play their instruments with their butts.

While none of these are horrible, Holy Grail does implicitly pose the "funny or gross" question quite often.

(Those are just the ones I can think of without looking. Maybe I've seen this movie too many times.)
 
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Pie
Posts: 10422
63
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
fred rosenberger wrote:I don't think Monty Python and the Holy Grail does...

Sure it does. The 'Frehnch-uh' Castle bit; not to mention the Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune peasants, who are actually "harvesting" it when they meet Arthur. I don't think 'Life of Brian' does though - even though it managed to be banned in several States without it.

And Python certainly weren't averse to the gross. Anyone remember the line "it's waffere thin"?

Personally, I don't like prat-falls (or physical humour in general). But of course, there are always exceptions.

Winston
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3752
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:
When I saw "Little Miss Sunshine" in a theatre, I had an absolutely fabulous and unique experience. When the movie gets to the big punchline -- if you've seen it, you know what I mean -- everyone, every single person in the theatre, laughed out loud.

They laughed until tears came to their eyes, and their stomachs hurt, and they couldn't breathe. Every single person. Not a poop joke in the whole movie. Probably the funniest film I've ever seen.


Watched it last night. Nice one. No poop joke. My wife and kids laughed a lot more than I did. May be something is wrong with me

thanks for sharing.
 
Frank Silbermann
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1407
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Anilprem wrote:One thing that I have observed while watching hollywood movies is that usually, 90% of the time, comedy scenes or situations involve poop or pee.
Not so. Take this show, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg1r6zw7Bg
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic