• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java GUI Builders?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have been doing Java for about six months and I have been using text pad. My question is are their any tools out there that allow you to drag and drop when creating GUIS with swing and AWT. I am working on a project and I really would like to speed things up. Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are many tools that provide visual GUI building, such as JBuilder, Visual Cafe, etc. I never liked using these tools because they suck and you'll learn much more if you do it yourself. Also, building swing applications are easy and fast once you get he hang of it.
SAF

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Since this is a perfect topic for the "IDE's and Other tools" forum, I'm going to move it there.
Sean

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JBuilder is far superior to Visual Cafe. To get something done while using Cafe is an achievement because it tries to hinder you every step of the way. By contrast, I never had any major problems with JBuilder. It's not perfect though.
Overallm I agree with Safrole. Get to know the swing classes and how to use them.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I personally use Forte which makes building GUI's very easy. The bonus is that Forte is a free download from Sun.com

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When I started in 1999 with Java I was fascinated about the feature Layout Manager. You only say what you want (a Label, a Textfield, a Label , a combobox, ...) and the Layout Manager places it justified in a panel. No clicking and moving with the mouse. But it is a long way to create complicated forms using the GridBag Layout Manager. To speed up I wrote an XML-inteface. All SWING components and their relationships are defined in XML. A class reads XML and builds SWING on the fly.
Now we made a product out of it called JEasy http://www.jeasy.de
To learn the Layout Manager its the best way. In a Repository you create all SWING objects. A preview function let you see at once what you would have to code in hours. Try it its free for evaluation.
[This message has been edited by Harry Pfohl (edited August 03, 2001).]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic