• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

some basic questions about clearcase

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am in the process of creating/enabling clearcase as a version management tool at work.

I have the following questions.
1) My application has multiple modules(that can have their own views) that will go live at different time lines.
Say I have module A that goes live in 2 weeks. Module B goes live in 2 months.

Do I need to create 2 different VOBs(one for development & another for production and bug fixes) for the above requirement to hold through.

2) Is there a way single VOB with different streams can enable simultanious development and delivery into production.

any inputs are welcome.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had used Clearcase extensively at my previous job. In your case, you can create "branches" for each of your streams. A branch logically acts as another copy of the code. You can create any number of branches from a branch.

So, you can have your production branch where your production ready code resides. Then you can create an integeration branch out of the production branch, and create 2 branches from integeration branch; one for Module A and one for Module B.

You can have your developers work on the Module A and Module B branch. WHen a Module is done, you "merge" the Module branch into the integeration branch. Once all modules all are done, you integeration-test the integeration branch. If you dont find problems, then you merge it into production, otherwise fix your problems on the Module branches, and remerge them to integeration until you have cleaned out all problems. Once your code is throughly tested you merge the integeration branch to production

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Moving to Other Tools.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic