• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Free from Microsoft?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Anyone free from Microsoft products?
With those with computers at home, are you completely free from using any Microsoft products?
What are the pains you feel due to not having Microsoft Word, Windows, whatever.
When on Red Hat Linux, I wanted to copy something from gnu emacs (xemacs?) to Netscape's URL Location and I could not. Ouch, I thought. That never happened to me on Windows. xemacs and Netscape don't talk?
Although not soon, I could see myself buying a new (used?) system that fully supports the RedHat distribution of Linux and I will be required to decide whether or not I will want/need to dual boot with Windows. If I need to dualboot, I have the extra headache of making sure everything (I mean everything) works with a latest version of Windows and Linux. As a consumer, I even might insist (*gasp*) that they both be supported by Microsoft and RedHat support. I know. I know. Crazy idea, huh? When I bought Redhat with support, they did more than they should. However, the bottom line from some of those techno. supporters was "we do not support that video card/sound card/whatever".
*sigh*
Are you free? Does it hurt? Is it safe?

------------------
Michael Finney
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I did try...
I had two networked machines at home, one running linux and one running Solaris. However, because of either the slightly fussy nature of netscape on linux (the box that connected to the internet) or some OS-specific site pages, I couldn't get onto all the sites that I needed to. In contrast, the Solaris OS has a better implementation of Netscape but I haven't got around to setting up a dialup PPP on that machine.
So now (reluctantly) I have a spare disk with Windows loaded on it so I can swap the disks and conveniently do other things that I need to.
As far as the supported cards thing, when I built my linux box, I only bought supported hardware and made sure that everything was on the supported list before installing. Which made things significantly easier. Same with (intel) Solaris - I had to be sure that every component I used was supported before installing.
I'd rather not use Windows, but unfortunately it has the most money pumped into it, and seems to have advantages with some applications dammit.
Of course I wish I was free of Bill's Empire... maybe some time soon...

Michael Finney
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What kind of sites are OS specific that you needed to get to?

George Brown
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ok, OS-specific is probably a bad term for it. implementation-specific is probably a bit more accurate.
I kept trying to connect to two shopping home delivery services, what you might call internet grocery ordering, from two chains we have here in the UK (don't know how international they are today), Tesco and Sainsbury's. Both of them would crash and burn in the linux netscape, where the Windows netscape would cope. I hate to say that, because I wish the linux version could have done it better. The fonts in the linux netscape were pretty much broken too and there were some erratic bugs that would bring down the window manager. But netscape is an ongoing and relatively young open source project, so I expect that these are just teething problems. The Windows version of Netscape seems to be more 'mature' as it has had a bit more time to be developed.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I hope to be in about 2-3 years when linux will be on par
with windows .
I have both win98/nt and mandrake linux on 2 computers
and my 1 problem is that i am still learning linux.

Michael Finney
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If one distribution ever gets to you too much, try another. I originally had Debian and then switched to RedHat. It's a good thing I had Debian first though. It helped me with an X problem.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic