• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Unusual Linux + JRE

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've got a "unusual" linux installed in my system. It has almost no packages installed. I want to install JRE (1.4.2-08) on this system. I use "j2re-1_4_2_08-linux-i586.bin" file from java.sun.com.

I've made it execuable (chmod +x) and tryed to excecute. I've read licence and typed "yes". But I've received this message:

My question is: what I need (packages?) to install and successfully run j2re-1_4_2_08-linux-i586.bin ?

Note: This "unusual" linux was not build by me and I know nothing about it. After login it writes: "Linux 2.2.16-rthal3."
[ April 06, 2005: Message edited by: George Bolyuba ]

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You could just install it on another Linux system, tar up the install directory, move the tar file to the "odd" system, and untar it there.

Barring that, note that j2re-1_4_2_08-linux-i586.bin is just a big shell script, and you can examine it to see what programs it invokes. From your error message, I see "awk", "expr", "[" (Yes, there ought to be a "/usr/bin/[" !) and "sum" missing; and "tail" is rejecting "+NNNN" arguments, suggesting you've got a strange version of "tail".

The bottom line is that it looks like it's going to be hard to install it on your system, and there's no guarantee that once it's installed it's going to work.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i'd second Ernest's suggestion of installing it on another Linux machine (as similar to the problematic one as possible, within limits), then tarring up the installed directory and installing the tarball. it would be much, much simpler than trying to install the several, complex, packages you seem to be missing, and tracing down the correct versions of several others that seem to be acting oddly.

(for instance, i'm willing to bet that the errors about "expr" and "[" are occurring because your login shell is not bash. i believe those two should be built-in commands in bash. and a Linux system that uses a login shell other than bash is quite odd indeed!)

even that might not work, though. if this installation is as unusual as all this, who's to say it uses the standard GNU Libc library? and if it doesn't then all bets are off for getting anything as complex and subtle as a JVM to run. still, it's worth trying.

(on edit: i see "expr" isn't built-in to bash, after all. but "[" - also known as "test" - certainly should be. and finding a Unix system of any brand without an "awk" is unusual, to say the least.)
[ April 06, 2005: Message edited by: M Beck ]

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You might go back to the Sun website and look I think there may be a copy of the JDK in tarball form there.

I know that the RPM distro comes as a ".bin" that has to be run (so you can agree to the license). That simply unpacks the RPM that gets installed, but RPM can and often does execute shell scripts found inside the RPM package (plus I think a number of the RPM macros are shell scripts).

Adding the textutils package(s) will probably help a lot, but if you can get a zip or tar file, the JDK isn't magic. It's just a directory tree commonly unpacked as /usr/java/{jdk_verson_name} and is safe to transfer from filesystem to filesystem.

Which makes it about the only major software system I know of that can be installed that simply.

M Beck
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
well, it's not always quite that simple. one often has to set up the system $PATH variable to find the newly-installed JDK binaries, at least. but yes, the everything-in-one-private-directory-tree model of software packaging does have a lot going for it, i agree.

Georgy Bolyuba
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for all. My problem was solved. I ask my friend to mount the file system of that "unusual" linux and run bin-file. All was good. Java starts just fine.

2Tim:
I've looked for .tar or .tgz file on Sun website, but... There are only two files: .bin and -rpm.bin.

I've found jre1.5.0_01 in tgz in Internet. But I've wanted 1.4.2

Once again, Thanks.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic