• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Root drive in Unix corresponding to C:/ in Windows

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

In my application i am generating some files & creating the zip of them using the Zipping API of java.I am saving that files at the path like this:

/folderName(Nothing preceding the '/' since the directory also gets created on the fly if it doesn't exists)

I am using windows machine(XP professional OS)AND i have Apache web server as my development enviroment.So in this case the directory gets created in C:/ that is in the drive where my web server is installed.

So my file after generating is at the following path C:/folderName

Now on my deployment environment there is UNIX OS and weblogic server .So in UNIX where the directory will get created.I don't know where the webserver is usually installed on the UNIX server.
[ June 17, 2006: Message edited by: Jignesh Gohel ]

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think that the Windows drive ID gets stored in the ZIPFile - only directory paths. Normally, when you unzip something, everything will be unzipped relatived to the current working directory, unless you specify otherwise.

Apache is most often found in /usr/local/apache on Unix systems, but other arrangements also are common. For Red Hat Linux, there is no "apache" directory, as its components are distributed into LSB-compatible parts of the filesystem: /usr/bin for the executables, /etc/httpd for the config, /var/log/httpd for the logfiles and /var/www for the web content. Don't be surprised if you find things a little different, though - I'm quoting that from memory.

Jignesh Gohel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Tim,

Thnaks for the reply.

I don't think that the Windows drive ID gets stored in the ZIPFile - only directory paths.

No no i didn't mean that the windows drive id gets stored in the ZIP file.

What i want to know is i have web application .Its directory structure is as that of a usual apache web server application.Now my tomcat is installed in C:\Program File\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\myapp\...

So in the classes folder i have a properties file in which i have mentioned the path- for the file which would get autogenerated- as key:value pair (e.g filePath = /GeneratedZipFiles) And i am getting this filePath value in one of my class .Now when i am running the application the directory "GeneratedZipFiles" gets created in the C:/.

So that is the thing on my development enviroment.

Now on deployment enviroment i have Weblogic6.1 server & unix is the Operating System.The weblogic is installed at the following path:

/usr6/weblogic6.1/wlserver6.1/config/myAppPath......

So i would like to know when my application is deployed at the above mentioned path in UNIX OS where the "GeneratedZipFiles" directory would get created, like it got created in Windows in C:/.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In unix '/' is the root directory. So, simply remove 'C:' from your
path, and that is where the files are. So it would be /GeneratedZipFiles.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Martin Simons:
In unix '/' is the root directory. So, simply remove 'C:' from your
path, and that is where the files are. So it would be /GeneratedZipFiles.

Indeed. Except you likely won't have permission to write files there.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic