• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

God I hope someone has a solution...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have this perl app... don't worry this isn't a Perl question. There will essentially be 3 parts to the page this app uses. Right now when entering the app the user sees a bunch of textfields and dropdowns used to get selection criteria from the user. When everything is entered the app gets executed and comes back to the same page. Underneath the criteria section (i.e. entry fields) a header row appears with each column name in it and directly underneath (in the same table) is the corresponding data. What I want to do is have the criteria show at the top of the page when no report had been executed and every time the user executes a report after just entering have the header appear at the top of the page and the content underneath. The only problem with all this (since merely moving these components around is a snap in Perl) is that I need the header to always stay above the content when scrolling through the data. I was going to use 3 frames (clumsy I know) but the criteria section and the header will be different sizes first off. So making a frame large enough for the criteria first in would be fine but then the header on subsequent executes would have too much wasted space surrounding it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Rob

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do a search for scrollable Table on the forum....

I think that is what you are looking for....

Rob Hunter
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot Eric!!! Great example! Just one thing though. I want to mimic something like Excel whereby Freeze Panes can be used. Ideally I would like to have a table header that does not scroll with the data table. Is there a way of doing this? Right now the header columns and the data columns aren't aligning properly. I'm using percentages in the tables because of the nature of the report. Thanks again for the help!

Rob

Eric Pascarello
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The percentages are what is a pain with my 2 line scroll table. I was working on a fix last month, but I have not been able to do any personal coding! My job has been frying my brain.

Eric

Rob Hunter
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Eric. Just wondering... since I do not need to worry about the columns on first opening the application is there a way to grab the maximum width of the display area of the browser through javascript? If so, I could use that value and apply my percentages to the overall total of the display area, then use absolute values instead for the column widths. Anything you know of along these lines that might help? Appreciate the help.

Rob

Eric Pascarello
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That is what I was working on, but then you also have to worry about the browser resizing.

Eric

Rob Hunter
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If using IDs with the columns could I, on a window resize and on loading, see what the column widths are in the "header" table and then set the column widths accordingly for the data columns? I wish there was a freeze pane property for this.

Rob

It means our mission is in jeapordy! Quick, read this tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic