• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Clipping an image as it is dragged

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I have a Web application where you can zoom in on part of a page, then drag the zoomed image around, to adjust what part you are seeing. Although this is not a mapping application, and I suspect my code is not like Google's, you can probably understand my application as being rather like Google Maps.

The image is inside a DIV. When in its normal position, the image fits wholly within the DIV. When dragged, parts of the image go outside the DIV. I want the image to clip, so that the bits outside the DIV are not visible.

I have used "position: relative" on the image; I then adjust "left" and "right" programmatically, to make the image move as the mouse is dragged. I use "overflow: hidden" on the enclosing DIV.

On FireFox and Safari browsers, this achieves what I want. But Internet Explorer does not clip, so the parts of the image outside the DIV are visible.

Any suggestions how I can get IE to behave like FF and Saf?
[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Peter Chase ]

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter Chase:
Any suggestions how I can get IE to behave like FF and Saf?

Contact Bill Gates and tell him to have his developers create a browser that is w3c compliant. Sorry, not helpful, but couldn't resist.

Peter Chase
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Feeding the troll a little bit, but hoping others won't turn this into a Browser Wars topic...

IE does have some annoying non-conformances, but some of its "extras" are rather nice things one wishes were standard. Some of the standards aren't as hard-and-fast as one might wish, too, meaning different but plausible interpretations are sometimes possible. I don't know whether my problem results from a deliberate non-compliance by IE or just a different interpretation of woolly standard.

Anyway, I have to make my app work with all three mentioned browsers, so wishing IE was better does not help.

Can anyone help with my original question?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You doing something like this?

<div STYLE="overflow: hidden; position: absolute;
width: 20px; height: 20px; clip: rect(10px 30px 30px 10px)">There was a guy with a water gun</div>

Eric

Peter Chase
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here's the extracted code: -

And the styles: -

Some JavaScript then adjusts "left" and "right" properties of RoamDynamicImage element, as the user drags the mouse.

Peter Chase
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I got a solution from a helpful poster on comp.lang.javascript .

There seems to be a small bug in IE. But it can be worked around by explicitly specifying a width and height for the enclosing DIV. It is OK to do this programmatically.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic