• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Manage It!: A new approach for Software Development and Project Management?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Johanna,

How do you adapt Scrum in your Project Management.

To me Scrum, like other Software Development (SD) methods, is always in combination with Project Management (PM) method. So Scrum is not a replacement for Project Management. And since we have lot of SD methods and lot of PM methods there is a wide range of combinations.

But here I've the impression that you created a new approach for SD+PM. Do you follow a known PM method or do you present your own style combining SD and PM into one new approach?

Regards,
Darya

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Scrum, in fact, *is* a *project management* method. It says nothing at all about how to build the actual software.

Darya Akbari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ilja,

can you give me some examples for SD methods and PM methods, the ones you know?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Darya Akbari:
Hi Johanna,

How do you adapt Scrum in your Project Management.

To me Scrum, like other Software Development (SD) methods, is always in combination with Project Management (PM) method. So Scrum is not a replacement for Project Management. And since we have lot of SD methods and lot of PM methods there is a wide range of combinations.

Darya,

As Ilja said, Scrum is a project management approach. However, the software development approaches are orthogonal to it (and other PM approaches). My belief (and experience) is that the project manager chooses a lifecycle that fits the project team and its context. The team chooses the SD methods. As a PM, I might say, "I want to know you've reviewed all the code. I know of several ways to do this: inspections, peer review, buddy review, pair programming. I don't care what you choose as long as you choose something. What will you choose to do?"

I can say that because although I lean towards buddy review and pairing, I'm willing to take the others. What I want is a result, not adherence to a process.

The one thing I tend not to compromise on is continuous integration. Teams really have to convince me that staged integration is right for them for some reason.

But otherwise, I don't care much about process; I care about results. Maybe that's the thing that seems new.

Johanna

Darya Akbari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Johanna.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic