• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Touch Screen Programming

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,
I have been asked to help another student to with her senior project. It will involve an application using touch screen technology. I will use Java or Visual C++ to write the application, but I cannot find any books that relate to touch screen programming. I have never tried nor spoken to anyone who has written a program for use with a touch screen. Can anyone give me some guidance in making the first step toward writing a program for a touch screen?
Thanks,
Howard

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I did a search on "touch screen monitor Java" on Google and found quite a few projects that use both, but no descriptions on what they did to get it to work... I suspect that the OS simply treats the touch screen as a mouse and you get mouse events... but I will try to look into this further...

-Nate

Howard Ralston
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nathan,
Thanks for the help! I met with her yesterday, and she seems amenable to creating the project as an application using a regular monitor with a mouse (time constraints). However, I would like to find out for myself how the touchscreen would affect the programming effort. I believe I will try to contact one of the manufacturers and ask.
Howard

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've worked with several touch screens in the past and every single one of them came with a driver that made it look to the OS like it was a mouse. Dragging your finger made the mouse move. Often it would interpret sudden movements on a single spot as a mouse click, or double-click -- often you could set this up in the driver configuration screen.
The bigger issue is to design your GUI so that it works well with a touch screen. That means things like big buttons, no controls (like drop-downs -- nasty things!) that require a resolution smaller than a finger, etc...
Kyle

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
does anybody out there know how to programme a microcontroller to control a touch screen, without a pc? say, use a small touchscreen to contol a dvd player?
just help point me in the right direction... maybe a webpage or something... thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I will point you in the right direction.
Welcome to the JavaRanch! Please adjust your display name to meet
the JavaRanch Naming Policy. You can change it here.
Thanks!
and welcome to the JavaRanch!

My previous laptop never exploded like that. Read this tiny ad while I sweep up the shards.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic