• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Expiring application

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What's general technique of stopping working Java application after certain time (trial or demo version)? How to prevent working app after reinstallation? It's for Windows platform. Is any hidden file to mark first intall? Where is the best way to put it to avoid hacking?

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This sounds to me like a question on licensing techniques. I'll move it to General Computing.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As someone who's gotten around virutally every time out exception ever made, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can't prevent users from getting passed it. You can make it painful or more difficult to do it though.

For example, putting this setting in an unencrypted file (like a properties file) or registry will stop about 80% of people, but a number will still get through. Putting it in an encrypted file stops even more people but then people just change their clock date when they install the program or figure out how to edit the file.

I'd say the safest (and most annoying) solution is to have the client software be required to check with an administration server before the program loads so that it keeps track of use. IBM does this with many of their products like Clearcase, Clearquest, and Rational Rose. The problem with this is that users can still crack it, and then you have to maintain a server and database with tracking information.

Ultimately, I want to say it doesn't matter which you choose. If you write good software that people like, they will pay. And if its for business's they will have to pay lest they get audited for thousands of dollars.

dema rogatkin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I completely share your opinion, I'd say more not only remove any protection, but provide complete source. Good application will be paid off even more in this case. However, I am not CEO yet, so I get paid for providing solutions for certain problems like this. Anyway, thank you for sharing your opinion.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic