• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OCA with 88%

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Passed Oracle 9i DB Fundamentals - I exam to get the Oracle Certified Associate Credential on 18th june. The test was awsome, now oracle has really lifted the standards up. I got 91% in Basic and 84% in Mastery section aggregating near 88%. Anyway the test was kool.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations Sumeet!!
Will you share your experiences and how did you prepare for exam?
What materials did you use what are the good websites and discussion forum dedicated to it.
Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations, Sumit
Jamal Hasanov
www.j-think.com

Author & Gold Digger
IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great job Sumit

Sumit Amar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks everyone.
Swati, I used Oracle 9i DBA Fundamentals - I ILT book, and nothing else like documentation etc. This test is famous for quite a lot of multiple answer questions. And it's important to mention here that you don't know how many questions are going to come from a particular chapter, as it was the case with previous oracle tests (8,8i).
If you have taken any test on www.Brainbench.com you might be knowing about the feedback viz. Strengths and Weeknesses you get after completing the test. The same is adopted by Oracle and they give feedback on week areas. And Section wise score breakup is not given. One more thing relevant to mention, if you have passed 1Z0-001 (Oracle 8/8i), still you can take 1Z0-031 (DB - I) and get the OCA credential.

Swati Gupta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Sumit.
I have been working in oracle for last 4 yrs, but never thought of certification but after passing SCJP2 I am thinking for this and am looking for some recommendation for books, mockexams and tutorials. I have some Oreilly's(database 8, PL/SQL 8) and Oracle Press books (database 8nand Advanced PL/SQL 8i and Forms etc.) I don't want to go for DBA exam. Just want to clear OCA Then based on the situation I can decide that I should go for SCWCD or oracle's Developer's exam.
Although I tried some sample ques in SQL here and there and scoring on average 80% but I have to still brush up my knowledge. I have lot of time to collect the material as I can start reading for this only after Aug end.
Any other suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks and Congratulations again.
All the best to you.
[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: swati gupta ]

Sumit Amar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You're welcome.
Swati, I think you have a misconception that OCA is one exam, let me tell you, OCA consists of two exams
1 : Introduction to Oracle 9i - SQL (1Z0-007)
OR
Introduction to Oracle - SQL & PL/SQL (1Z0-001)
2. Oracle 9i DB Fundamentals - I (1Z0-031)
After completing these two exams, you get Oracle Certified Associate credential. and the common exam in DBA and Developer tracks is only 1Z0-001(Intro exam). After completing that you can go for either Developer track or the DBA.

Sumit Amar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As for the study material for preparation, I would suggest you to get Oracle ILTs, the best solution for getting through the exam. There are chapters in ILT books based on the sections in exam. I do have the Oracle 9i PL/SQL Programming ILT (in PDF) if you need it, do confirm. I'll arrange it through email.
If you ever wish to go for Oracle 8i DBA Certification then Jason Couchman's (Oracle Press) Integrated exam guide (all 5 tests) is the best one, which costs around $100 in the USA and $10 in India. If I aint wrong the similar book for Developer track is also available from Oracle press.

Swati Gupta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Sumeet. After searching through the internet for last two days I realised what you mentioned about the exams but I just wanted to take the DBA fundamental 1 so that it might make my life easier at work also as we do here some part of DBA. But I will think about it again.
ILT is Instructor Led training. Am I right?
If so I think that I don't need it to for SQL and PL/SQL exams. I may be wrong.. I also have the Sybex guide by Chip and Biju for 8i SQL PL/SQL. Should I buy another for 9i.
Thanks for offering the PL/SQL PDF file I will be glad to get it.

Sumit Amar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Swati, when I say ILT that does not mean Instructor Lead Training exactly , but Instructor Lead Traning Study Guide (Vol I,II). And as for the SQL and PL/SQL test, which is fairly easy you can skip this guide thing ofcourse. And tell me your email, where I can send you 1MB PL/SQL ILT, ( I have only vol-I)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Sumit,
Congratulations!!! Great job done..
I am planning to give Oracle 9i DBA in the near future.. (after 2 months..) .Presently I am working on SCJD.. Could you please send available material by email to the address: suresh.seeram@wipro.com
Thanks once again..
[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Suresh Babu Seeram ]

Swati Gupta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Summet,
Click on the 2nd icon(like envelope) above after date and time and you will get the email address.
Thanks.

Sumit Amar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Oracle Aspirants,
You can get Oracle 9i PL/SQL Programming ILT guide (Vol - I) here ->
http://hosting.msugs.ch/pcte/oracle9iplsql.pdf

Swati Gupta