• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCJP 1.4 -- 90%

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Ranchers,
FIRSTLY, I thank you all ranchers for having such a best forum I have ever looked on the internet !!! HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS !!!
I have always been thinking to post good news like many ranchers in this forum. Atlast, I got my turn today with some good news for me and to you all too..I cleared SCJP 1.4 with 90%. I feel happy !!!, ofcourse, targetted for more than 95%.
More than the score, I feel more HAPPY for the confidence I've gained on Java, thatz my GOAL b4 setting out for certification & have achieved the same today!!..
STATISTICS:
--> got 6 wrong answers
--> lost more questions on assertions/flow control. prob., I would have overlooked some snippets of the code.
About the exam--
In the middle, I felt it little different rather than the other mock exams and hence I approached very cautiously, there were almost 70-80% of questions requiring 2 or more answers. Hence, I gotto be more watchful. I also suggest you be like that too. i took 90 mins. to complete the first round and in the second pass, i didn't have much to change, other than to re-check my 1/2 hearted answers, didn't even change anything in the remaining 30 mins.
Preparation Materials --
K& B book ; DAN's mock EXAMS!! ; some other mock exams, THATZ It !!, more than enuf !!
Way to GO --- first, BOOK the exam with a gap of around 20--30 days if you have some decent experience in JAVA and willing to put atleast 5 hrs. a day!.
first study K& B book with each chapter a day....take self-test each day and keep down your fault points' reasons on a sheet (FLASH CARD probably!!).
after 10 days of reading the book, enter DAN's single topic, u'll be totally lost and would seem to be back with SQUARE 1. Never worry, after all ur learning again from a diff. perspective. WORK OUT section by section with single topic tests. CODE a lot to test out any doubts that u get in the middle, thatz more important.
If u still feel worried about ur performance, read K&B again, but this should take just 2/3 days, JUMP on to COMPRE. exams of DAN..... & subsequently, UPDATE ur flash-cards/word file(thatz what I had on each chapter).
Last week -- take other mock exams, similarly, try out Master exam a week b4, I ended up with 738 but i've accounted that story of the same in SCJP forum!!.
THATZ IT....ATTACK the TEST center with full CONFIDENCE, attend the questions, saying, u've got nothing to lose as u've already gained the confidence of some nitty-gritty details of the language & u've coded a lot.
LAST OF ALL !!....don't prepare just to gain the certification, the worth of spending 150 bucks is not attaining high score or the certificate from SUN, itz in the satisfaction that u get from the preparation & the CONFIDENCE u've developed in the process...
GOOD LUCK for upcoming TEST TAKERS !!! KUDOS TO JAVARANCH....
~ Shalini
spl. thanks to KATHY & SIERRA for their wonderful book.
DAN........i can't forget u..u've haunted my most nights' sleep saying, R U ONLY THAT WORTH for this language, I use to say, I will take ur challenge with much more prepartion tomorrow and today, I feel thankful and most important, ur different perspective on the exam learnt me more things in JAVA.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am new to this world, hi too all and a respectful bow to everybody and espesically u shalini who scored 90% in SCJP. I have completed my Bachelor of Information Systems and looking forward for taking Java certifications for taking my career ahead in development. please guide me in the process and send me tips and advice how to proceed. local_genuine@yahoo.com

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Taurean,
Congrats on a superb score!
We're glad the book helped, and I hope you stick around to answer some questions, I liked your posts!
Bert

Ashok Paulraj
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Bert, especially on your patient answers for my post reg. SHIFT & octal/binary/hex conversions. Infact, after your reply on the same, I spent about 2 hrs. on the last week of my preparations to search on the internet for the logic behind these operations and got myself well-versed on the same.
Infact, based on your post and Dan only, I changed my way of preparation to understand the concepts behind each EXAM tip rather than memorising them to score high!!....KUDOS TO U...
Ofcourse, I would always hang around JAVARANCH and help other test-takers to achieve more than me....
Would be looking forward to take up further certifications !!!..
Loveen,
Hope u made your way soon into this forum. take your time first to browse on different resources available within this forum and make sure that you spend atlest an hr. daily to look onto the messages posted by other ranchers. That would give you more than WHAT U WANT....
~ Shalini

stable boy
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great result.
Many congratulations.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations on your great score Taurean!
Thank you for using my exam. It's nice to know that they have been helpful.
I wish you continued success in the future!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
congrats shalini! I am planning to take the exam myself in another 15 days so its time for me to switch to topgear. you guys give hope and thats invaluable.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Taurean,
Congratulations! U have got a very good score.
How mock test did u gave?Which was most close to the reality.Did u read the JLS and does it really helps.I just read one of the topics(Threads) from the JLS and I feel that it is good to know the language tit-bits.But for the certification doing the mock exams and reading and revising urs certification book is a more direct way of getting good marks.
If u have(in fact all the SCJP's) are welcome to write few lines about what they think.
Thanks
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic