• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Questions About the Architect Exam

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
After reading some of the postings here (and Sun's site on the Arch, certification) I had a couple of questions some of you might be able to answer:
Is it really going to cost a total of $550 (US) to get this certification? (See http://suned.sun.com/USA/certification/archdetails.html).
I have seen some people post titles of books they think might help, but are there any written specifically for this certification?
Are the essay questions answered on-site at the testing center, or are they take-home?
Anyone have some ideas on the scope of the assignment? And how does this work? Do you do it at your leisure and send it in? Do you discuss your project with someone who grades it before you can pass?
I passed the Programmer Certification about four months ago and want to look into the Architect. After looking over the objectives, it looks like what I am interested in. I think just preparing for the exam would motivate me to learn more about J2EE.
Thanks.
Bill

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
Here are some answers:
Yes, it costs $550.
There are no books that specifically focus on the architect certification.
The part 3 test is taken at a testing center.
You have a year to do the assignment from when you download it. You submit it and it will be graded along with your essay answers.
Hope this helps.
John

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
bill , the correct link is here.
As the details given on the site , there are three parts of the exam Part 1 , Part 2(Project Assignment ) & part 3 ( Essay )
you must complete all three part to get the certificate.
Another point which I want to highlight is , as per FAQ's
on Sun's Site for SCJEA

Overview Supporting courses Exam objectives Sample questions Registration Certificates FAQs
Q. What is the difference between the old Architect and the new Enterprise Architect certifications?
A. Based on the changes in the industry we have created a whole new set of testing objectives. The new objectives go beyond basic architecture and design and require knowledge of the new J2EE Technology and how to use that technology to integrate software applications. The new certification also goes beyond knowledge-based testing to include a performance-based assignment that demonstrates the candidate's ability to apply knowledge and skills.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. How do I prepare for this certification?
A. Sun Educational Services has an instructor-led course; SL-425, Architecting and Designing J2EE [tm] Applications. In addition to this course it is recommended you have experience as an software application architecture and design using J2EE technologies.

so ,the experience & depth is required. Because of such requirement , there may not be any book on the exam.

for assignment of Part 2 , the site says that there is no time limit as long as the program is alive.
Part 1 & Part 3 Are to be taken at Prometric Tersting Centers.
I hope this would be helpful.
Shailesh.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi John
Can you little bit clear me about your Post regarding that the project (i.e. PART II of exam)time limit of One year.
Because
Sun web site tells that it is valid for the life of Certification (i.e as long as SCEA exists in List).
Regards
Bidyut

John Wetherbie
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I noticed that too. However, when I called up Sun to purchase part 2 I asked if there was a time limit. The person said that I had one year to complete the project after I downloaded it. So maybe if you don't download it this is the equivalent of the lifetime of cert.
You may want to call/email Sun and get this clarified. I am assuming I have one year.
John

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is a JAVA 2 certification book by New Riders publisher (I foegot the name of the book) which covers older SCJA certification. I guess you can also use it for the SCJEA exam.
As far as I know there is no book specifically for the newer SCJEA certification. If you know please let me know.
Faisal

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What abt part3 of the test...
Has any body cleared part3 of SCEA...if so give us some hints and objectives ...

John Wetherbie
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The book Faisal refers to sounds like the Jaworski book (published by New Riders). I have it and it was not too helpful for the SCEA test. It does talk about screen scrapers and some other legacy connectivity issues but I am sure there are other resources for these topics. It is not worth buying the book for the SCEA. I had it because I used it to study for the SCJP.
John

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic