• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Study Advice

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Guys,
Today, I've decided that it's time to get Part I out of the way. So, I bought UML Distilled as my study book and am buying SCEA@Whiz shortly. I'm currently a SCJP and SCWCD. The plan is to take the exam on Dec. 23, which gives me a little more than 3 months to study.
Is this combination of study materials sufficient to pass the exam (Part I).
Thanks,
Screen

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
UML Distilled is a great book but it won't help you pass the SCEA exam. The exam has roughly 4 questions involving UML and anyone that has looked at the inside cover of UML Distilled should be able to easily answer these.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi
I personally wouldn't bother with SCEAWhiz ... I Took my weblogic 6 developer 2 weeks ago passed that with 90% then gave myself 5 days break before taking the architect exam .. in reality i only spent 1 day going over security, protocols, concepts, design patterns and the other day going over the sceawhiz product ...
The product is out of date big time and it makes you think you are not ready for the exam . Believe me, if you have passed the weblogic exam - you will pass the architect exam.
The sceawhiz product had many problems also with uml diagrams not being displayed correctly ....
Just my 2c's worth - and just for the record, my current certifications stand at :-

SCEA (1)
SCJD 1 & 2
SCWCD
SCJP 1
Weblogic Certified Developer
Websphere Certified Developer
SilverStream Certified Developer
Certified PowerBuilder Developer 2,3,4,5,6

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Peter,
I would recommend you to go through the design patterns in detail. There are plenty of good books on design patterns and a lot of information on the web. Knowledge of design patterns is also required in part 2 and 3.
Ashish.

Chris Mathews
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I figured that I would clarify that my answer pertains to SCEA Part 1. UML Distilled will definitely be a useful reference for the assignment.
Warren, I agree with your assessment. Anyone that has passed the WebLogic Exam should not have any trouble with the SCEA Part 1 Exam. However, I do not believe that many people here fall into that crowd.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic