• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Part 2, What Comes First ??

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The good news is I have found out today that I passed stage I, result wasn't too great (80%) but I'm pleased with the overall result. Now for the hard part !. Please can you guys give me some advice on how to go about stage II. Specifically, what I would like to know is, is there a correct order in comprising the UML components ? By this I mean, based on what is supplied in the assignment ( Use Cases etc) :-
1) Does one first comprise the Class Diagrams ?, i.e are the Class Diagrams the starting point for the assignment submission ?
2) Do sequence diagrams begin after Class Diagrams (Since you have to list Classes at the top ?) or do you begin with sequence diagrams (and thus deducing what classes you require for your class diagram ??)
3) To construct the class diagrams - is this a process of extending the classes given in the business domain model and supplementing that with classes identified from the detailed USE CASES supplied (i.e looking for nouns etc in the USE CASE requirements ?)
4) Is it necessary to model two separate clients ? i.e a WEB CLIENT and a SWING CLIENT ? They both make and initiate requests although the protocol may be different (HTTP/RMI) - would it be plausible to identify my client as as UI CLIENT and in my assumptions state that this can either be WEB or SWING based ?

5) Is there a UML notation to model constraints ? i.e lets say I was building an ATM banking system and I wanted to ensure that latency after a person entered their pin code was under 2 seconds - Can this be modelled ?

Thanks everyone !!
Priya Patel

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

5) Is there a UML notation to model constraints ? i.e lets say I was building an ATM banking system and I wanted to ensure that latency after a person entered their pin code was under 2 seconds - Can this be modelled ?

I have NO clue if it's required for the SCEA exam or not, but the answer is (at least partially) yes. There's a whole language that's part of UML, dedicated to specifying constraints. It's called OCL - Object Constraint Language.
You can find some more information here:
http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/apps/doc?ad/03-01-07.pdf
or
here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201379406/

Priya Patel
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the URL Phil...

There is some *small* detail in SCEA that defines a constraint/requirement similar to what I have mentioned here ...

Priya

Phil Rhodes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Priya,
I just realized that the book I linked to on Amazon is out of print, and has been replaced by a 2nd Edition, with a different subtitle. Here's the link to the newer one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321179366/

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Priya Patel:

2) Do sequence diagrams begin after Class Diagrams (Since you have to list Classes at the top ?) or do you begin with sequence diagrams (and thus deducing what classes you require for your class diagram ??)

I have found ( http://www6.brinkster.com/nsenthil/articles/auctiondbdesign.html ) that identifying components first makes the process of identifying classes much effortless. Using the clases and the event flows one can get sequence diagrams.
Nalla
[ February 01, 2004: Message edited by: Nalla Senthilnathan ]

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic