• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

User Interface for Assignment

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi ya,

I have read posts here on the assignment but not come across any that say they have used a web client for the travel agents. I have read several posts that seem to suggest the opposite (a java swing interface), and yet I see nothing in the assignment that seems to indicate that a web client for the travel agents could not be used.

Am I missing something ?? Has anyone used a web client for the travel agents?

I don't see that either approach would make much difference to the architecture diagrams required for the assignment but I am just curious.

Thanks,

Mat

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi, Mat,

how do you understand these two words('Graphic User Interface' & 'application clients') in the assignment?

Mat Williams
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi

That is a fair question

An 'Application client' I interpret as any client for the application - this could be web page (HTML), Applet or stand alone GUI, or even another application that connects via a web service for example, to the application.

A 'Graphical User Interface' is a term that to me differentiates todays current desktop type systems from the older 3270 type displays and dumb terminals and Systems running just character based environments such as MS Dos (pre Windows). A GUI can be a web page or a stand alone app like Micrsoft Word, Excel etc. A GUI uses buttons, images, colour and has controls like list boxes, text fields etc. These inherently do not exist on dumb terminals etc.

I am guessing a bit here that you are trying to give me a clue, without directly saying so, since you are already a SCEA, or you are at least trying to make me think about something. And in rereading the requirements to see where those 2 phrases where referenced I came across a statement that I had forgotten about that says 'both web clients and application clients'. Interesting.

Thanks

Mat

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic