• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Representing VOs

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
How do I represent the VOs in my project ? I guess the class Diagram should be technology-agnostic, and should contain only the business model, not implementation details.

So, should I put them in the Component Diagram ? But then I guess this is an implementation detail. Or not ?

Any suggestions ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
VOs need not be a part of Component Diagram. You need to provide those in Class Diagram.
[ February 22, 2007: Message edited by: Joseph Alexander ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm just completing my assignment and currently have the Value objects on my component diagram. I'm of the mindset that the class diagram should include only the businesss objects. I had tossed the idea of including Value objects, Business Delegates, Service locators etc. on my class diagram but decided to include them only in the component diagram because they are needed to realize the business classes. I'd be interested in what others have to say about this.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In my opinion Component diagram should not contain VOs, rather it should contain higher level Components which provide services or has some behaviour. VOs could go in the Class diagrams.

George Gastaldi
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Francis Sommers:
I'm just completing my assignment and currently have the Value objects on my component diagram. I'm of the mindset that the class diagram should include only the businesss objects. I had tossed the idea of including Value objects, Business Delegates, Service locators etc. on my class diagram but decided to include them only in the component diagram because they are needed to realize the business classes. I'd be interested in what others have to say about this.

Francis, I think of that too.
Could anyone that already got SCEA could please answer to this post ?

Thanks.

Joseph A Alexander
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Component Diagrams are used show the interfaces/services exposed by "programs" (like one or more POJOs packed together, EJBs, Webservices etc) and how they interact with each other.

For example, if you have an EJB for Order Processing, then it will be a component in your component diagram. Granular level details like attributes, methods, arguments of this service wont be exposed/provided in the component diagrams.

Value Objects are very granular structures used to encapsulate the business data. These are not complex enough to be qualified to be put in Component Diagrams.

Class diagrams should be granular and detailed, which should contain each and every class we use in the application and its relationship with other classes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Joseph, SCEA
[ February 23, 2007: Message edited by: Joseph Alexander ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

class diagram should include only the businesss objects.

George and Francis, why do you think that?

C

Francis Sommers
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I do agree that the component diagrams should show how the application is assembled and that Transfer objects are a bit fine grained for a component diagram but I am not completely sure they belong in a top level class diagram either. I'm going to put my transfer objects on my class diagram now. Joseph or Nitin what do you think about Business Delegate and Service Locator objects. Should these go on the class diagram also or should they be on the component diagram ?

Nitin Singh
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Putting more classes in class diagrams is always good but its a trade off between what is required most vs nice to have.
I would include Business Delegates and Service lcoators in Component diagram coz they are higher level and close to components.
In class diagrams we should try to elaborate more on business/domain classes and serivce classes like EJBs and Utility classes with their relationships (which is the most important). I would not put standard classes like Business Delegates and Service locators which are self explanatory.
[ February 24, 2007: Message edited by: Nitin Singh ]

Joseph A Alexander
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would suggest to put the Business Delegate and Service Locators in the Component diagrams.

If your Component diagram is messy (with so many components), then you can avoid putting the BD & SL and explain the approach of calling the services from client tier separately.
[ February 26, 2007: Message edited by: Joseph Alexander ]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic