• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Root Certificate

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Confuse with the root certificate. Is it the root certificate the same as private key? or different thing. When the signer generate a key pair, the private key can be used as the root certificate?

How to understand these two sentence regarding the signing certificate:

1) "Developer generates a private-public key pair with a signing certificate and has the certificate signed by one or more protection domain root certificates"

2) "The protection domain stakeholder�s signing certificate (not necessarily the root cert) is used to sign the MIDlet JAR and create the associated JAD entries"
[ September 05, 2004: Message edited by: Alibabra Sanjie ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm in the process of reading that chapter... AFter that, I will comment on your post... For now, I'm not sure whether what I think on your post is correct or not....

Alibabra Sanjie
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Confuse with the root certificate. Is it the root certificate the same as private key? or different thing. When the signer generate a key pair, the private key can be used as the root certificate?

How to understand these two sentence regarding the signing certificate:

1) "Developer generates a private-public key pair with a signing certificate and has the certificate signed by one or more protection domain root certificates"

2) "The protection domain stakeholder�s signing certificate (not necessarily the root cert) is used to sign the MIDlet JAR and create the associated JAD entries"

More questions: How the signer associate the protected domain with the signed MIDlet during the signing procedure? Does the signer has the control which the protected domain or root certificate to use to sign a MIDlet suite? Do I need a root certificate during the signing procedure? If a device has more than one root certificate, how do I know a signed MIDlet is associated which protected domain?
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic