• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Q for Kathy

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Kathy,
Is this exam available at New Delhi, India also. Or is this restricted to few countries/regions.
Thanks in advance

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi from France !
For the SCBCD exam, I'd lije to know if the book "Mastering Enterpise Javabeans" by Ed Roman seems to be enought (part I and II) to be prepared ?
Thanks

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am sure Kathy will say to include the EJB 2.0 specifiaction from SUN should be added with it.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well Kumar the exam is not restricted but it would be launced all over the world I am appearing for it from Karachi Pakistan
And Vincent I would rather say better option is Orielly's Book of Monson Hafel and Ejb Specification and an overview of Mastering EJB by Ed-Roman.

guy vincent
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks,
but there will be only two things in my future : whether i imrove my english to read EJB 2.0 specifications, whether my head explode ...
(Well, i'll try because i love java !!)
guy

Kumar Prem
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Syed,
Then what will be the procedure to resgiter it at a center in India. I
Thanks

Cowgirl and Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Howdy,
I actually don't know the process for registering internationally; but the numbers to call are in the email that comes with the voucher:
=======================
Prometric Regional Service Centers:
Asia/Australia 61-2-9414-3663
Europe 31-320-239-800
Japan 81-3-5541-4774
Latin America 1-443-751-4300 or e-mail: LAMREGS@prometric.com
USA/Canada 1-800-795-3926
=======================
There is *no* way you can prepare completely without the specification (EJB 2.0), but the good news is, *everything* in the exam is from that document. It reads *much* easier than the JLS, at least (damned by faint praise?)
Anyway, either the O'Reilly or Roman book can help you *learn* the concepts, but they do not cover all of the specifics that you need to know for the exam. And they cover some material that is *not* on the exam, so keep your focus on the objectives.
If you are just learning EJB, you may not have enough time to do well on the beta... the concepts are not difficult, but the quantity of things you must know for the exam is LARGE.
If you have at least some familiarity with EJB, even just a little, my suggestion would be to start studying the spec, writing your own mock questions (and flashcards ) and then refer to the O'Reilly book or Roman book ONLY when you do not understand a concept discussed in the spec. Otherwise, the spec is really very clear.
You must have an *understanding* of what these things mean, though, in order to be able to answer all the questions, because they are not just straight memorization, but expect you to recognize the implications of the rules in the spec. For example, what does it *mean* to have a remote interface? What are the implications? What must you do *because* it is remote? What must you *not* do?
Oh yeah, on another thread I think it was Mark Fletcher that suggested coming up with which spec sections can be used for a particular objective, and I think that is a GREAT idea. It will really help you studying just to do that exercise. Why don't you all just pick an objective at random (rather than starting at 1) and look through the spec to find ALL the places where that objective is covered.
For most of the objectives, you need to study only ONE chapter for that objective (although it might be several different sections of that one chapter), so it should not be too hard to narrow down the objectives.
Get busy
cheers,
Kathy

Syed AliRaza Zaidi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Kumar,
You can log on to

Prometric Testing Centre Locator
and select India then you can find out the prometric centre near your residence and go there and register for it.

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Kathy,
Do we need to call up the numbers that you have listed for registration or can I visit my local Prometric center for registration

Syed AliRaza Zaidi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well Pradeep you don't need to call if you personally visit the centre

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Syed, are you sure about this one ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hi Kathy,
Do we need to call up the numbers that you have listed for registration or can I visit my local Prometric center for registration

I have the same question.
Regards,
Gayan Balasooriya

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kathy
Can you please answer the above one.

Kathy Sierra
Cowgirl and Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi there,
I honestly do not know what the procedure is for international registrations, other than by calling the phone numbers from the email. I can try to find out, but I may not get any other answer except what it says in the voucher email. Sorry
I'll try to get a better answer...
cheers,
Kathy

Gayan Balasooriya
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks.

Syed AliRaza Zaidi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Guys,
I have always gone through registration process you have to visit prometric centre and fill the form of thompson prometric.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Greetings, Ladies and gentleman,
'bout prometric, We got two situations in Brazil:
You may either (1) log in in the Prometric site and schedule your test, or (2) directly call a prometric registered learning center and schedule your test there.
As I noticed with my programmer's exam, Some places accept only one of the above ways.
My suggestion would be finding a local center, and give it a try - call them and ask your prefeered way. They'll tell you if their agendas are 'writeable' only through the web.

Hope that helps.
[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Gustavo Torreti ]

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kathy,
Any updates on the registration process?
Thanks

Originally posted by Kathy Sierra:
Hi there,
I honestly do not know what the procedure is for international registrations, other than by calling the phone numbers from the email. I can try to find out, but I may not get any other answer except what it says in the voucher email. Sorry
I'll try to get a better answer...
cheers,
Kathy

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am currently reading the EJB 2.0 specifications and I have a couple of questions:
I don't want it to sound like I am trying to cheat on the time it takes to study, but should we read the whole specs or just the portions that describe the responsibilites of the bean provider and not the container provider?
I guess I just had one question.
[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Steve Hamilton ]

Kathy Sierra
Cowgirl and Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You DO need to know what the container is responsible for. The key is to really study the objectives, because many of them specifically state that you do need to know what the container will do. The reason for this is that a bean developer still must know what (and to a certain extent *how*) the container works, in order to make the right decisions about what to put in each method, etc. You need to know what is guaranteed and what is not, so that you can write your code and application with that in mind.
But... you do NOT need to know *how* a container is actually implemented. You need to how the container behaves, not the mechanism by which it achieves that behavior...
Best thing to do is really go through the objectives, and if you have any questions about what a particular objective means, or about *where* in the spec you should be studying for a particular objective, then ask the question!
cheers,
Kathy

Steve Hamilton
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is there any way that we can use your Objective details to create a document with details to each objective (like a quick study guide). If we have enough people concentrate each on a major objective (ex. 1 EJB OVERVIEW) with its minor objectives (ex. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5), we could have a pretty comprehensive study guide to go by instead of reading the whole 2.0 Spec.
Of course, this is just an idea.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Steve, there is a guy who seems to have started matching objectives with ejb spec sections. Sorry, don't remeber the name, just browse the forum messages (while there are not too many yet ) Concentrating the effort would be beneficial.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic