• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

passed with 83%

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you all for your advice and answers. today I passed with 83%. I really thought I'd score higher, but I'm happy to have passed.
As customary, I'll shed some light on the exam.
First, I'd like to say that I went into the test with one quest: "To objectivly decide which mock exam is most useful." I've taken ALL the mocks in the SCWCD links section. Now, I can say w/o bias that JWeb+ is the winner. I was able to answer almost 1/2 of the exam simply from remembering the explanations to questions in JWeb+. SCWCDWhiz is a good mock too, and DOES have MUCH better explanations. However, the questions are not as tricky as JWeb+. The actual exam difficulty is between JWeb+ and Eduardo Cobian's. Anand Chawla's mock falls in this range and can be considered a 'litmus test' for the real exam.
Anyway, onto the exam.....I won't waste your time trying to give vague statements like memorize web.xml or know design patterns, cause that seems rather vague to me. When I was studying for the exam I scoured all the posts of those who had passed hoping to find someone that had posted a real question or similar question. I came to realize, it's more important to EARN it.
My best piece of advice is to use the notes of those who have already passed the exam. There is simply no need to 're-invent the wheel'.
Sure, you can read the API/specs. However, the actual exam basically covers only what's in the objectives (except for design patters). I used
Velmurugan's notes, which are quite comprehensive.
As many have said before, the exam is NOT hard. It does make you think and doubt your answers. Tricky is not a term I'd use to describe the exam, as much of it's straight-foward.
Ok, onto the exam, for real this time....
- Understand each and every element dealing with tags.
- Know the behavior/implementation/return types and interfaces dealing with tags.
- Know how to implement tags in JSP pages.
It's funny, when I ready others talking about knowing tags, I thought to myself "boy these guys just don't get tags (no offense)". Well know I understand why!!! I thought I had learned about tags, but I should have put in more time.
Aside from the mind-boggling tag questions, everything else will be covered in the notes and JWeb+.
===============================
Resources:
===============================
Core Servlets and JSP (read here and there)
Velmurugan's notes (read twice)
All mock exams(primarily JWeb+ [took 15 exams])
~2 months of study time @ 1-1.5 hrs a night.
I wish you all the best and again thanks for your help.
-PP

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulation Peter!!!
Thats very good score! Can you tell me where i can find Velmurugan's notes ?
Thanks so much

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations! That's a good score!

peter parker
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Velmurugan's note's
http://www.geocities.com/velmurugan_p/

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats, nice score.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Peter, could you give me an idea of how you were scoring on the mocks before you took your exam?
in fact, I would appreciate knowing what kind of results you should be getting in the different mocks before taking the exam.
Many thanks,
Rowan.

peter parker
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Rowan in all the exams I used, I made a goal of scoring at least 90%. So, I had to retake many of the mock exams several times. I found that in doing this you may begin to remember the answers and not the explanation. Mostly, because the answers appear in the same location everytime.
My suggestion, for retaking a mock exam is to explain the answer to yourself and why the other answers are wrong. This really helps! Also remember, spend some extra time dealing with tags. Know their implementation via JSP, know what values the methods return, know the interfaces they come from, and know what types of errors they throw. I under-estimated this portion of the test, so try and not make this same mistake.
-PP

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic