• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

help on SCWCD ...K & B why didn't u write a study guide for scwcd!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi all ranchers
am planning to take up SCWCD . but have no idea how to start it . i know the possible suggestions would be to get the hfsj book . well i bought a copy of that since k&b saved my life in SCJP.
i need some tips on scoring high on the exam and besides i need to take up the exam in a short span of time .
i know that the learning process will go on even after the exam but for now i just need to crack the exam so that i can add that flashy cert thing to my cv . hence just tell me the basic things that i need to know for the exam . something like the exam study guide by K & B for SCJP 1.4 .is there any such book as effective as the k&b i mean that book teaches everything plus it prepares u for the exam also . why didn't kathy n bert write an exam guide on SCWCD ?!!!

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
From what we hear at the ranch, HFSJ is supposed to be THE exam guide for SCWCD.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes i confirm, Kathy, Bert and Brian wrote THE book about the SCWCD exam, which is HFSJ

pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is the one.

dew foster
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks Satou,Esnault.... n yeah marc that was a pretty prompt n precised one !
i have already bought that one(head first servlets n jsp) . but i was looking for something like the one they have for SCJP 1.4. believe me guys i was new to java ... the whole programming/software world actually n i just referred to that one book n practised mocks n took my SCJP n scored 72% (not very flashy though but suits me )within a very short time. the head first java i started refering after passing my scjp to learn new n more elaborate things like jar , rmi etc ...
from wat i have seen in the discussion forums is that for dessign patterns we need to refer to some other books . basically i wanted to know is this book enuogh for cracking the exam .since i'ven't gone through the book i wanted to know from the people who have already used it . maybe after i finish the book i'll feel that this is the one! its just that i wanna know if i've got the required materials to start kickin'.

Christophe Verré
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First, you've got a great book.

So read it, sleep with it, eat it (it's pretty heavy so watch out for overweight ). Don't dare going out without it. Actually, without HIM. Because you'll talk to your book, as it is actually talking to you. Give him a name if you want

Ok, I've been a bit drifting. The main point is : read it, study it.
When you'll be confident enough, and you've done all the mocks in the book, check out Mikalai's Study Guide to make sure you don't miss some points.

That should be it.
Have fun.

dew foster
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hey thanks buddy for that lil' pep talk i needed that . well i need to keep my enthusiasms high n need to keep thing (watever it might mean ! ...maybe it means everything that relates directly or remotely to the exam ).wow! i'm already starting to talk in rmi .
i'll definitely burn that book in my brains ...oops HIM i mean . don't worry i'll be dating him regularly fm now onwards. n then i'll have some fun with the mikai thing

dew foster
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i know its a silly question n might be offtrack but since this forum is to share ... help n get help hence i dare to ask....
marc how did u do that .. as in u wrote "This is the one " and when i clicked on it it took me to the page where u wanted me to visit . u never directly wrote the url http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005407/jr%5Fbunk-20/002-6980285-5029660 instead u wrote that one liner . how did u connect . some jsp servlet thing ? i wanted to know how u do that preferably in explicit details !

Christophe Verré
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

as in u wrote "This is the one "

When posting a message, there are links at the bottom, called Instant UBB Code. Click on the "Insert URL Hyperlink", and you'll be able to post that kind of links.

dew foster
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
wow i guess i can do it now thank u so much !
check if this works . if it does i owe it to u .This is the book i referred to for SCJP

Marc Peabody
pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by dew foster:
from wat i have seen in the discussion forums is that for dessign patterns we need to refer to some other books . basically i wanted to know is this book enuogh for cracking the exam .since i'ven't gone through the book i wanted to know from the people who have already used it . maybe after i finish the book i'll feel that this is the one! its just that i wanna know if i've got the required materials to start kickin'.

HFSJ is certainly sufficient for passing the exam. What you heard about design patterns was probably that the SCWCD Exam Study Kit book does a really great job at explaining patterns. HFSJ didn't screw up on the topic, it's just that many people believe that this other book did the best job on explaining design patterns. Study Kit has one "Putting it all together" page that really clarifies where all the different patterns fit together. Its illustration is similar to the one here but only contains the patterns listed in the objectives. A tip for the test: if an answer is a design pattern not in the objectives, you can assume it is not the correct answer.
[ February 17, 2006: Message edited by: Marc Peabody ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Manning Publication's book by Hanumant Deshmukh is also a good book. It is more in a text book format than the graphical and pictorial format of HFSJ. I used the same book and scored 92% in pretty less time.This is the book

[ March 27, 2006: Message edited by: Naik Priyanks ]
[ March 27, 2006: Message edited by: Naik Priyanks ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks naik,
I wanted to hear something like coz im using only that book to prepare.
What did you feel about the coverage of the book after reading it? was everything in the exam properly covered? did u feel satisfied after the exam that you had read the book? please let me know, thanks

Naik Priyanks
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Akshay,

The book covers all the topics except the JSTL in details reqd for clearing the exam.

It gives you a fairly good idea of the content, but I wont suggest this book for the beginners.

I hope I have answered ur querries.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi foster....

Don't worry...We have the book what you are looking for...

Now I am preparing with that book besides HFSJ.
I have soft copy also...

Try in the market...U will definitely get it...

All the best...

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic