• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

About doTrace() method?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi i need some clarification on doTrace() method,
i read some where that it will be useful for debugging.
how it will used in debugging?
can you give me with an example?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The TRACE HTTP method is designed as a debug feature as follows: whatever you send the remote server as an HTTP request, the remote server will loop-back that data and send it all back to you. That allows you to see if it is receiving all the data it should (e.g. that data isn't being corrupted by a proxy). It could, in theory, be used as a first step towards debugging a Web application if you think your application is going wrong because it isn't receiving the correct headers - however, I don't think I've ever used it in practise because it's only marginally more difficult to get the Web app itself to output the headers it receives to a log (e.g. by addition of a Filter). Also it has been found that a server which allows TRACE has a minor security flaw (see Cross-Site Tracing Issues) so many admins disable it for that reason.

There's also a handy script online that will show you the results of a TRACE: http://schroepl.net/cgi-bin/http_trace.pl .

Note: You won't be expected to know anything (significant) about TRACE for the SCWCD!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic