• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCJD and SCWCD

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am SCJP and want to prepare for next java certifications.I will prepare for both SCJD and SCWCD but Sun certifications are very expensive. So i will have to select b/w SCJD and SCWCD, which one to take.
Can anyone help me in deciding which one will be better to take depending on exam objective and market value.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First of all SCJD has been around for awhile, while SCWCD will not be available until July 31st, so it remains to be seen what kind of impact it may have. Then consider SCJD costs $400, and SCWCD costs $150 (from what I understand). So before you make a decision consider those factors.
- Sean

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was luckily selected to sit for the SCWCD beta exam. In my opinion, your decision depends on the type of challenge your are looking forwar to face. SCJD requires de design of a certain architecture and the development of an assignment. This project, in particular, requires a lot of time for coding, documenting and packaging. It feels just like a complete university project. On the other hand, SCWCD is quite similar to SCJP, having multiple choice questions on Servlets and JSP. You must also consider that different technologies are used for each certification (the first requires reading tutorials and sample source code, the second requires reading the specs and acquiring some experience).
To sum up, if you feel like developing something by yourself, and eventually feel satisfied (or not) with your efforts, go for SCJD. If you feel like doing a lot of reading, learning a lot on web application development, and adding another "paper" to your collection, go for the SCWCD.
Just my thoughts...
Benjam�n

umar pak
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your answers.
I read on sun site somewhere that 90% of java market is of web components. If that is true, I think doing SCWCD will be better than SCJD. Because as far as I know SCJD doesnot cover anything about web components.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is a question for java ranch !
Do we have a section for SCWCD?
Om

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Om Sonie:
This is a question for java ranch !
Do we have a section for SCWCD?

Good point, I would be rather surprised if we wouldn't be getting one as soon as the exam was available. I'll see if the ball is rolling, and if not, if I can get it to.
- Peter

[This message has been edited by Peter den Haan (edited July 10, 2001).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is in reply to the dollar amounts:
SCJD is $400 but you can take it until you pass, right? That is, if you fail, you will not have to pay $400 again.
SCWCD is $150 each time you take it.
This is correct, no?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Christophe Lee:
This is in reply to the dollar amounts:
SCJD is $400 but you can take it until you pass, right? That is, if you fail, you will not have to pay $400 again.

No sure about this anymore. Couldn't find any information about resubmission on Sun's site but I remember reading a post in this forum some months ago http://www.javaranch.com/ubb/Forum25/HTML/000715.html

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You have to pay only around 150$ to take the SCJD again. Actually in my case i had the option of a free resubmission which i undertook. This option was available only until September 2000.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic