• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

The Best Certification Path

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys, I'm going for my SCJP 1.4 on this Tuesday. What certs should I pursue after that involving Java? Should I try straigt for architect? What do you guys think? I have no "professional expierence developing java but I have been coding for about 2 years now. I'm just finishing up my undergraduate degree in December. I'd like to have some certification(s) that would help me get a java job. So in 4-5 months, if you had the SCJP cert, what would you pursue to get a java job? Thanks so much, Prem.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My 2 euros worth...
I would say that if you want to do the J2EE architect certification it would be a good idea to go for the Web Component Developer first, so you do not forget your newly gained java knowledge. You will have to learn a lot about the J2EE architecture to get SCWCD and that will help towards the architect certification later.
On the other hand doing the J2EE architecture exam will teach you the architecture to do SCWCD.
The choice depends upon your leaning or not towards the programming side.
Or do both in parallel...
By the way, please, Please, PLEASE give feedback on how the SCJP 1.4 goes. You are making a great step for Java mankind!
Good Luck.

-Barry (Wannabee SCJP)
[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Barry Gaunt ]

Barry Gaunt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow! Are you gonna get gonged for multi-posting my lad!
Ask nicely, very nice and humble like to get some of your posts deleted.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can delete them yourself... and this is the exact reason that I did not reply... after seeing 4 or 5 of the exact same posts in the different forums turned me off to answering the question.
[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Nate Johnson ]

Nate Johnson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, since I have seen a few apologies about the multiple postings, I feel better about answering now... my suggestion would be to get certified in what you want from a job. If you want to do web stuff, go for the scwcd... if you want to do gui stuff, go for the scjd. I think, with the web kick that is going on these days, that the scwcd would look very nice on a resume. But it is just another multiple choice test like the programmer. Now, the developer test is a pretty neat assignment, where you get the chance to apply design patterns, work with some neat technology like swing and rmi, work through issues like threading, etc... I think having completed a project like that would also be something that you could talk about when you are doing interviews. It is really up to you in what you want to do after you graduate.

prem saggar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Nate, thanks for replying to me. I am really sorry about posting multiple similar topics, and I understand it detracts from the quality of Javaranch's forums. My deepest apologies. Lastly, its very nice of you to reply to my question despite my errors. Thank you Nate. So do you think that taking the architect cert is a bad idea then as opposed to the web-component and developer? Thanks again, Prem

Nate Johnson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, I dont think is is a bad thing... it really depends on what you want to do. I enjoy doing the certifations, so I will probably do them all. But if you dont want to do the web dev cert, then doing the architect should really cover all of the other. The architect will cover more of the real life stuff, like patterns and uml, unlike scwcd. I think they are both important, and getting an architect position right out of college may be a bit harder than a good web component developer.... I already have my job secured and am just doing the certifications because i like doing it and sharing with others. Keep up posted in your choices.

prem saggar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmm.. good point. I don't think anyone will make me an architect straight out of school either. The only reason I would go for the architect first is because of UML and the design patterns. I believe that developing big-time software needs really good documenting and development. These are functions of UML, and design patterns. Plus when I write little projects for my self, I wish I had way to break down my concepts like I used to do with my Data Flow Diagrams, but when dealing with Java I know I should be using UML. So you see I am interested in UML and I'm glad to hear that UML is used in the real world. It is right? So that being said, what do you think about IBM's UML test? You think that + let's say web-component certification is more attractive than SCEA? Thanks again, Prem

Nate Johnson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, being in the real world for a few years now, where I am currently finding it is very hard to get people to see the benefit of UML when deadlines are the biggest thing. It would be great to live in a world where there are no deadline and you had all the time in the world to design and such... yes, I know, if they could only see what would happen if they designed a project first (with uml and all), and could actually comparre the results with what is currently going on... I am fighting that war as we speak
Anyway, either scwcd or scea will look very nice... just be ready to back up your certs with real knowledge when it comes time to your interviews and doing your job
Good luck to you and I hope to see you around the javaranch!
[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Nate Johnson ]

prem saggar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey thanks again Nate. Your comments are really enlightening. I think UML is great too, but as you said deadlines are dead lines and getting the product up is (I suppose) more important. A very real scenario. So Nate what are you up to? I believe you are a SCJP, what's in the works? What web server do you guys use at work? Apache, Iplanet, IIS ! Also, do you use Sun workstations, linux, or Windows? I have windows right now, but I was seriously considering moving to Sun Solaris on my intel 32 bit, since I can't afford to by a Sun station. You think being Sun Solaris savy, or may be even certified, could help a Java programmer get a job? Maybe in Unix shops huh? I don't know, I'm just really sick of Microsoft, and the .Net, which to me is just a package that ships in the JDK , which is trying to "replace" java, was the final straw. Everytime I use my Windows pc I feel as if I am helping the enemy. I feel like I am locking my self in to Windows more and more. Plus, my pc crashes to much, what crap! I'm running windows 2000 here. I was thinking of moving to Solaris 8 but 9 for intel will be out in about 2-3 months, so I may wait. Let's see. Thanks again, Prem

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The app/web servers used depends quite a bit on the clientele... If your employer has clients from the Fortune 500 list, they probably opt for big players like BEA and IBM, but the smaller ones will more likely be happy with cheaper or even open-sourced products like JBoss.
Regarding the OS question - All UNIXes are alike. If you're a Java developer, there's not much difference whether you are coding/compiling/running on Linux/UNIX/Solaris. However, you really should know the basics of one of these, as most (I guess) applications' production environment is not Windows...

prem saggar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Lasse, so you don't think people use Apache? I see allot of people using Apache, but Apache is only a HTTP server. Do they use Tomcat as their application server? If so they have to get Tomcat + Apache to work together. I tried this, and I could not do it. . Anyhow, thanks Prem

Nate Johnson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sure, we use Apache for the web servers and since we are partners with IBM, we use WebSphere for our appservers (at least for all of the enterprise level stuff -- we have some tomcat stuff here and there, etc). We also do all of our development on Windows machines because that is what everybody knows.... the nice thing about java is that is is SUPPOSED to work the same everywhere, so most of the time we are fine with our setup.

prem saggar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks again Nate . Prem

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, prem saggar:
Could you talk about the new 1.4 exam? I will take it soon.
Paul

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic