• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Bodgitt and Scarper questions

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
Just wondering if you have noticed the following topics.
Topic 1 : The Background section is as follows
They take requests from home owners for a type of service, and offer the homeowner one or more contractors that can provide the required services.

Does that mean that, we have to allow multi-select in the JTable to select one or more contractors? Anyone has implemented multi-select ?

Topic 2 : Page 3 The User Interface section is as follows
It must allow the user to search the data for all records, or for records where the name and/or location fields exactly match values specified by the user.
This line is in conflict with the DB interface specified in page 4. The following requirement is for the find() method.
// Returns an array of record numbers that match the specified
// criteria. Field n in the database file is described by
// criteria[n]. A null value in criteria[n] matches any field
// value. A non-null value in criteria[n] matches any field
// value that begins with criteria[n]. (For example, "Fred"
// matches "Fred" or "Freddy".)
public int[] find(String[] criteria);

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Suds,
  • Do we have to allow multi-select in the JTable to select one or more contractors?
    I don't think so - the keyword IMHO is offer - in other words, if there are 3 records that match the user's criteria, we have to offer (display) them all to the user - the user can then choose which one they want.
  • The results of searching the database do not match the GUI requirements.
    You did not have a question here.
    Yes, there is a difference in what you should display versus what you get back from your search, but at least you can meet both the requirements of the Data search method, and the requirements of the GUI displaying the results. You can reduce the result set on the GUI side. Had the requirements been reversed (so Data's search returns exact match and GUI required 'starts with' matches) then you would have had a problem.

• Regards, Andrew

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Suds,

Topic 1 : The Background section is as follows
    They take requests from home owners for a type of service, and offer the homeowner one or more contractors that can provide the required services.

Does that mean that, we have to allow multi-select in the JTable to select one or more contractors? Anyone has implemented multi-select ?

My assignment said the same thing. It is however just a general statement of the requirements. It does not say that you have make that capability possible in a single user interface gesture. I did not implement multi-selection and scored well.

Topic 2 : Page 3 The User Interface section is as follows
    It must allow the user to search the data for all records, or for records where the name and/or location fields exactly match values specified by the user.
    This line is in conflict with the DB interface specified in page 4. The following requirement is for the find() method.
    // Returns an array of record numbers that match the specified
    // criteria. Field n in the database file is described by
    // criteria[n]. A null value in criteria[n] matches any field
    // value. A non-null value in criteria[n] matches any field
    // value that begins with criteria[n]. (For example, "Fred"
    // matches "Fred" or "Freddy".)
    public int[] find(String[] criteria);

It really isn't a conflict as they are just different requirments for 2 distinct parts of the application, the ui and the persistence sections. My solution went a little beyond the ui requiremnts and offered up some of the extra capability present in the persistence section. If you wish to see a more complete description of my design, check the thread, "NX: Notes on a design that passed 389/400".
    Good luck,
    kktec
    SCJP, SCWCD, SCJD

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Ken and Andrew,
    I had the same question as Suds and was curious why they would have stated it like this. I currently have my search within the gui returning what the find method describes, but found myself questioning this sentence from the instructions.doc

So what i understand from both of you is that you should grab the search results from the find method and then filter them again so that the search query EXACTLY matches the contractor's name and/or location. Ken, did you make this EXACTLY match case sensitive? I'm thinking about not making it case sensitive so the user won't have to put in all the upper case letters etc. Let me know if both of you think this is a viable solution.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Dave,
    Just a reminder. The instructions, and this is a MUST instruction,
    states:

Notice for the name and location search they say EXACTLY. Which would mean
    case sensitive. But your other search could go either way.

Dave Knipp
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Bill,
    That is is a good point, the MUST is really stressed so i guess i should go with enforcing case. Good suggestion.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Andrew Monkhouse
    author and jackaroo
    Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Hi Dave,

I had the same question as Suds and was curious why they would have stated it like this.

Possibly just because they want to simulate a typical specification that you will find in the real world. Which means the specification will have omissions, badly worded sections, and sections that are wrong.

I'm thinking about not making it case sensitive so the user won't have to put in all the upper case letters etc. Let me know if both of you think this is a viable solution.

I agree with Bill that you must do an exact match, so it would be case sensitive.
    One thing you might want to consider though, is whether you can offer a drop down list of valid searchable items. That way the user does not have to manually type in selection criteria.
    Regards, Andrew

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic