• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Don't mind me, I'm just talking to myself

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Today I solved a very tricky problem. I think the key to it was posting on JavaRanch. Mind you, over the course of about 6 hours I encountered the problem, tried debugging it, researched it, and posted to JavaRanch 7 times. No one responded to my postings but me (it was only posted for a few hours before I solved it, so this isn't a complaint). I wonder how much posting to JavaRanch helped to clarify my thinking and focus me on the solution. I think I'm going to try to post questions to the ranch more often to see if that helps me solve them--as well as be a beacon for others who dare the perils I've been facing with WebLogic EJBs and JMS.
--Mark

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have often posted a question on Javaranch only to solve my problem soon after. Typically I just delete my post, but I think I will start replying the answer to myself for anyone else that may run into the same problem, or maybe even someone will have a better solution that I do.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This sounds like the "Cardboard Analyst" pattern. I'll pre-empt Ilja with a reference to http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?CardboardAnalyst

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have done this a few times myself. I generally post the solution for others who may run into the same problem.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sometimes I post the solution without ever posting the problem.
Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A lot of times while composing the message and in trying to be as detailed as possible about what I've tried and what hasn't worked I'll come up with the solution myslef and just delete the post.
I agree, just in writing a post and organizing your thoughts it helps in finding the solution on your own.

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dave Vick:
A lot of times while composing the message and in trying to be as detailed as possible about what I've tried and what hasn't worked I'll come up with the solution myslef and just delete the post.

I strongly encourage you not to delete them. Often when searching, JavaRanch and similar forums are some of the most useful resources when I'm trying to find info on a problem. Half the time even if I don't find the exact info, just reading the posts helps jog my memory.
--Mark

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Barry Gaunt has thoughtfully provided us with another recent example of this sort of thing.
That, or Barry started his New Year's celebrations a tad early.

Sheriff
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
oh I'm definitley guilty of it too -- of course -- I usually first answer myself incorrectly... then start to get it -- then someone corrects me... then I start talking to myself like Barry did... and then I take a lunch braedk and boom I figure out the answer

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic