• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

RMI and local mode my zonealarm complains

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have choosen to use RMI for client/server communication. When I startup the client in local mode my zonealarm still asks if that communication is allowed. Is this ok for my assignment or should I make it more local meaning no network-access at all?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi - check your instructions, and you probably have something like:

Architecturally, this mode must use the database and GUI from the networked form, but must not use the network server code at all.

Basically this means that in standalone mode, you shouldn't be using RMI or any other kind of networking at all.

Hope that helps...

Jan van Buren
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have a interface that defines what the server can do. The interface extends Remote.
In local mode I don't do a rebind but just create the server implementing the interface. No networking according to me but my ZoneAlarm thinks otherwise and he is right.

Daniel Dalton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I suspect that your instructions asked you to create a Data class or similar, which has methods allowing it to manipulate a data file locally - ie. on the same computer as the program is running on.

Local mode is asking you to have the application running on the same computer as the datafile resides on... You don't need the server code to do this, and in fact it is probably contrary to your instructions to do so...

Jan van Buren
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your replys and thank Zonealarm to. Without it I would have failed for sure
My assignment states no networking and a class that extends UnicastRemoteObject is doing networking.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic