• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

what to do on automatic failure?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Today I logged onto the cert manager and found out that my assignment was given an automatic failure. The reason was that in non-network model my program hung after a local db file is selected. However I can not even reproduce this problem on my own computer - i.e. everything runs perfectly fine on my side. Without knowing what the cause is, resubmitting will be a waste of money. Anyone know how to get further information on the problem?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry to hear about that, Kelly. If it happened to me I would first try to gather some evidence that it does run in non-networked mode. How about letting some friends test your application (just the runme.jar - without having access to your source code of course)? If you can choose friends that don't even have a jdk installed all the better. Make sure they have just the same jre version installed. Also try to get it run on an alternative operating system to the one you developed on. If your application does run in non-networked mode in all cases, then get some "acceptance" signatures and addresses and appeal.

Good luck!
-Barry
[ November 24, 2006: Message edited by: Barry Gaunt ]

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kelly,

Sorry to hear that.
May be give us some details we can help you somehow.
How/when you select the database file ?
Can you describe the workflow ?

regards M.

Kelly Wood
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When the user starts up the client system, a popup screen appears, asking the user to select a database file on the local file system via a file chooser dialog. Then the system will attempt to load the content of the file into memory (by reading the header information and each record, using RandomAccessFile). The tester claimed that during the loading step, the system hung (I suspect infinite loop). The load step always reads the next bytes, convert them to either int or String. It never move the pointer backward via seek. Before submission I have already test my assignment on another computer that has no jdk installed. I have already emailed Sun a few days ago, hopfully they will treat my concern seriously.

Mihai Radulescu
Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi

Hmm, I don't see anything wrong. Can you provide also some code snippets ?
Or this can be a IO problem, if you read in a loop expecting for the EOF (or something like this) and this never comes (because the file is corrupted) you can get a endless loop.

Regards M
[ November 29, 2006: Message edited by: Mihai Radulescu ]

Space seems cool in the movies, but once you get out there, it is super boring. Now for a fascinating tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic