• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Final pre-submission help (give me that warm feeling - please)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Guys and Girls,

I am very close to finishing my UrlyBird 1.3.2 assignment but am facing a few pre-submission jitters on my design which I would like some opinions on.

1. Suncertify.properties:

I have created a GUI which handles all 3 possible config scenarios (local database file, remote host/port, server database file), however I am unsure on how this GUI should fit into my hard-worked MVC model.

I have an entry class (main method) which determines the mode from the command line and then creates an instance of my controller. This controller takes the mode as a parameter, creates a generic Connection object (local/remote), creates a Model and then creates a view with that model.

I now need to leverage in my config GUI (which should be invoked at each start-up), so that I can specify data file/host name/listening port etc, however I am unsure what would fit in best to my design?

Should my controller call it before anything else? Should me view (GUI) call it in its constructor? Should it be called in my main (entry-point of whole app) class?
Also, how should the main GUI be notified that the config has been set? Should I fire some action???

2. Constants.

I have written a super constants class (as I would in a proper application) so that all text from the props file, is loaded as a bundle (in theory to aid I18N) and then all values set to final static constants. However I am now getting jittery - is this bad OO in your opinion? Should constants sit in the class they relate to instead of having lots of Contstant.XXX calls throughout the app?

3. Customer ID

When I have booked a room, I update the model to include that entry with the new ID. Should this entry now be deemed invalid and not displayed at all to the user?

Thanks for the help guys. I can almost smell the finishing line!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic