• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Official policy on abusive users.

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Ranchites,
My monday morning started off with a bad note. I received a few emails from concerned users about an abusive topic posted during the weekend. While I felt sorry for the sour souls who were unable to appreciate what a great place this is, I felt it was necessary to speak out and let all the bad guys know our zero-tolerance policy towards slanderous messages.
JavaRanch will not tolerate or entertain inappropriate messages. Verbal abuse, sneering, calling names and snidely remarks will be taken seriously by the Moderators and Sheriffs. To ensure and safeguard the quality of service we provide such users will be blacklisted. We will disable the user account and will contact the administrator of the originating domain of such messages to persue necessary action against the violator.
When you see such messages, please do not respond to them. Your reaction will only add fuel to fire and encourage the user(s) to continue their malicious intent. Instead send an email to one of the moderators for immediate attention and we will take it from there. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
If you are mean, impatient, unfriendly, irritable, selfish, cynical, cranky, misanthropic, unsociable, or suffer from superiority complex, this is not a place for you!

Ajith
[This message has been edited by Ajith Kallambella (edited November 13, 2000).]

Ranch Hand
Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi! Ajith,
I suspected this (unwanted posting) will happen(abusing in this wonderful site) when I first saw a posting from an unregistered person in which he/she explained some problems and said to wish for better luck.
I thought at that time only moderaters will take steps to avoid such postings. But so many of our own ranchers wished a good luck.
But now its not late to avoid such postings.
Anil
[This message has been edited by Anil Kollur (edited November 13, 2000).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ajith,
I think I have seen the posting you are referring to and I agree that such kind of behaviour or language should not be tolerated. However I would like to point out that some of the qualities that you described
"mean, impatient, unfriendly, irritable, selfish, cynical, cranky, misanthropic, unsociable, or suffer from superiority complex, " are often considered as the hallmark of the geek. Specially the cynical , cranky and arrogant part.
Is this a special forum for the also rans ?
Rgds
Sahir Shah

Ajith Kallambella
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I received a few emails since yesterday after posting this topic. People are concerned I am pointing my fingers to some specific users. Many of them were asking themselves "Am I the bad guy??"
I just want to clarify, this post is for all the users who hang around just to have fun. The users who intimidate and abuse others with totally unprofessional behaviour. They post topics which carries no weightage and has no technical significance.
Fortunately there are a very few of them and they don't live long. Folks, this is has been a great place with so many knowledgable people willing to help others. We see more such friends than foes. But like many of you, I too am concerned about the the bad apples in the basket and this post serves as a warning for them.
All of you certification aspirants are welcome here to exchange ideas, share experience and help each other. I should say you all have been great comrades and have upheld the spirit of this "most popular JavaRanch discussion forum".
Sahir - interesting interpretation indeed. Helpful and friendly 'Geeks' are more than welcome here. We love them!!.
Ajith

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When any issue is discussed, I think it is important for folks to focus on the issue and not on the person that brought the issue up.
For the most part, this sort of thing is not a problem here. But once in a while, somebody gets in fresh off the bus from flame-war-ville and tries to start some grief. And in a few cases, these folks don't take kindly to our suggestions to "be nice". It turns out that there are some amazing things we can do: ISP's are very interested in knowing about users that are less-than-nice. Since we track IP's and the time of posting, most ISP's can then tell you exactly who the user is. So far, the ISP's have been very persuasive in convincing people to be nice.
Thanks Ajith, for doing this dirty work for me. We've worked hard to create a pleasant and professional environment and I would hate to see one or two people turn it into a ghost town.

Ajith Kallambella
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just digging out this topic ( from its grave?? ) for the benefit of those who haven't read it.
Ajith
[This message has been edited by Ajith Kallambella (edited November 25, 2000).]

Won't you please? Please won't you be my neighbor? - Fred Rogers. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic