• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Wow 98% : I made it with your wishes!!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Pals,
Finally your wishes and my hard work bore the success i always wanted. I am really feeling to be on the top of the world. Its a great moment.
As i had planned and as adviced by friends like you, the only care i took during the exam was to keep my cool and it paid off. It was really really a great experience.
Firstly i would like to thank all the people who have been contributing at javaranch by their great conversations. It really boosted by moral.
Then i would like to thank Marcus Green for his great mock exams at www.jchq.net. It really helped me judge my performance. Then i would thank the whizlabs team at www.whizlabs.com/jwhiz for their wonderful test simulator specially because of the updated version of j@whiz with many more code based questions on inner classes, io and threads. I believe its bcoz of jwhiz only that i could score 100% in these topics. Then i would like to thank the team at www.javaprepare.com. Not to forget, the last day help i got, which was really very crucial, was from veenas notes and one liner tips from jwhiz. Infact the rules round up game at www.javaranch.com was also useful in last few days.
Coming to the actual test, it was really a good mix with little dominance in topics like io, threads and inner classes. There were 4-5 questions on overriding and strings each. There were 2-3 questions on shift operators. This is where i marked wrong and missed the century
There were around 70-80% code based questions. Few of them were around 20-25 lines long.

What i believe as suggested by others as well is to write as much code as possible to test your knowledge in any topic. This is the most efficient and effective way to improve your performance.
Overall i will say, the journey to scjp can be sailed smoothly provided you are focussed and have done proper planning according to your strengths and weekenesses.
Once again THANKS A LOT to ALL OF YOU for a GREAT and TIMELY HELP!!!
I hope my experience will be helpful to you guys.
I can still continue writing without any limit. But i feel it will be more helpful if i can help by answering to your questions i can answer. I promise to help any one of you in whatever way i can.
ALL THE BEST TO ALL OF YOU,
Richard

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey,
Congrats...!
Now,I need u advice on,how to study for java.awt , java.io ? These topics r really bugging me and I guess they are very important.i ve been asking help here and follwing everybody's instructions..
Thanx

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
CONGRATULATIONS..
fantastic performance.i'm also preparing for the same hey u talked about some stimulators.can u give it to me.although i knowone has to buy it,but if it is possible... then please help.
also guide me in THREADS please.if there are some good tutorials in it on web.please tell me.
once again my heartiest congratulations.score is wonderful
all the best
bye
asheet

Richard Brown
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Swati,
Thanks for your wishes.
Its true that IO and AWT is not too interesting and difficult to master. Look from exam perspective.. give very high importance to the constructors of all the file classes. Use JavaDoc API for that. Specially to File and Data Input and Output classes.
Another good way is to code real examples like write code to :
1.) Read from a file.
2.) Write to a file.
3.) Copy from one file to another file.
4.) Read some part of text from a file
5.) Append to a file.
6.) Take keyboard input and write it into a file.
and so on... I feel by doing these.. you will have a good feeling of the basics.
Try to use both char streams (readers and writers) and byte streams (input and output). Also try to write some real code using Random access files.
For AWT.. i think Layouts is the most important part. You can get really good tutorials specially on gridbag layout from sites like java.sun.com and searching on google. Here also try to write some code and test is by modifying few things.
After doing all these efforts you need to test yourself by giving mock exams. Here marcus greens and j@whiz mock tests were really great. There were few very similar questions in the exams.
Also give more imp to threads and inner clasess.
I hope it will help you.
All the best
Richard

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Fundu score man...Congratulations... But do stick around javaranch to guide us..
Congrats once again,
Aakanksha

Richard Brown
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Asheet,
Thanks for your wishes.
Regarding threads :
For studying I will recommend RHE: Robert Hellers Book. Also you can find some useful links from here : http://www.devdaily.com/Dir/Java/Articles_and_Tutorials/Threads/
Do write lot of code as most of the questions were code based.
Then for evaluating your self as i told : jwhiz and marcus mock exams were great help.
Regarding giving you the simulator like j@whiz, i personally believe only when you pay for something, you get the max out of it. And if you are paying 150USD for SCJP then 30USD or Rs500 (if ur in india) is definitely worth it.
I hope it will help you.
All the best
Richard

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Moved to cert results.
------------------
Tom - SCJP --- Co-Moderator of the Programmer Certification Forums