• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Any concerns for large heap size? (e.g. 2GB)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Our server has 4GB RAM, and it runs nothing else except the JBoss Appserver and Apache HTTP server. So I think we can definitely afford a heap size as large as 1-2GB. However, I heard that there are some concerns when the heap size is larger than 1GB. Some say these problems are platform/OS-dependent. I wonder if there is any information about this issue?

My environment:
Windows 2003 Entreprise Edition, JBoss 2.4.8, J2SE1.3.1
[ September 09, 2005: Message edited by: Henry Leung ]

Ranch Hand
Objective C Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We noticed that our sever doesn't start if we set xmx to 2gb. However it works fine with 1.5gb. Sun's site has an articale about right settings for xms and xmx. I think with latest VM you can afford up to 4gb.
We have 4 CPUs 4 GB box and w2k.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JVM 1.3.1 is a 32 Bit JVM. So you can address upto 2^32 bytes (4 GB). There are Memory requirements for JVM other than Heap like the Memory requirement for the Threads etc.
To my knowledge, you can have a heap of 4GB - Thread stack size * (no. of threads). 3.5 GB Safely.

With JVM 1.4.2 you have the -d64 option with which you get a 64 bit JVM and you can address more space 2^64 Bytes(Very huge).

But as you take larger heaps the no. of GCs reduce(advantage), and the time taken per GC increase(disadvantage). With JVM 1.3.1, the GC is single threaded and it will stop the application threads. So Check the response time affordability of your application

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic