• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

different requests for what purpose?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What is the relationship and difference b/w ActionRequest, RenderRequest and PortletRequest?

Can we get handle of one from another?

Thanks.

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The PortletRequest is the parent of both. An ActionRequest and a RenderRequest are both different types of PortletRequest objects.

An ActionRequest is valid during the action processing phase of the portlet. During this phase, the portlet hasn't completely decided how it is going to render itself, be it minimized, maximized, in edit mode or in veiw mode, etc.

On the other hand, the RenderRequest is valid during the rendering phase of the portlet. At this point, the portlet knows how it is going to render itself, and certain changes such as window state, are not allowed.

That's a very quick explainiation. Check out my signature links for plenty of free CBTs and multimedia tutorials on doing portlet development. You might find them helpful.

-Cameron McKenzie

ankur rathi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a ton Cameron. Your site really rocks!

Well, I am going through the video tutorials at your site. Just a quick question came in my mind while I was in between one of the tutorials. Your portal server starts very quickly (in seconds). For me, it takes 3-4 minutes. I have 2 GB of RAM on my system. What configuration do you have? Is it because of configuration or any other reason?

Thanks again!

ankur rathi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Cameron McKenzie:
The PortletRequest is the parent of both. An ActionRequest and a RenderRequest are both different types of PortletRequest objects.

An ActionRequest is valid during the action processing phase of the portlet. During this phase, the portlet hasn't completely decided how it is going to render itself, be it minimized, maximized, in edit mode or in veiw mode, etc.

On the other hand, the RenderRequest is valid during the rendering phase of the portlet. At this point, the portlet knows how it is going to render itself, and certain changes such as window state, are not allowed.

That's a very quick explainiation. Check out my signature links for plenty of free CBTs and multimedia tutorials on doing portlet development. You might find them helpful.

-Cameron McKenzie

As you said, ActionRequest is valid only during action processing phase, that means, I can't get any attribute of it during rendering phase. Right? In other word, if I set any attribute in ActionRequest, I can't get it from RenderRequest. Right?

But both are childs of PortletRequest. Is not anyway I can get one from another?

Thanks.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you want to pass the params from action to render ,you would need to set the Action Response using
Then this is available in the corresponding Render Request.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic