• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Chat not Working through Proxy? PLz advice

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys,
I have a probelm, using sockets i have built a chat application which is running just fine on dialup , but it is not working with proxy server,that is if the client logs in thru proxy then the server is not able to identify him and the client application throws exception.. Can anybody advice me, ill be grateful,
Regards,
Daman

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi,
If the client is connecting thru a proxy, there is no mean by which the server can contact the client. This is because when a request goes to the server from the client, it is the proxy's ip address that goes to the Server and the response from the server goes to the proxy, which obviously doesn't know what to do with it. I think what u should do is, if for some reason the server can't contact the client, it should store the message in the database and let the client poll for messages using a servlet or something

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
use http protocol
if u don't know how to do this
read
java servlet programming
by-jason huntor
u can find a simple chat which uses servlet as server

Originally posted by daman sidhu:
Hi Guys,
I have a probelm, using sockets i have built a chat application which is running just fine on dialup , but it is not working with proxy server,that is if the client logs in thru proxy then the server is not able to identify him and the client application throws exception.. Can anybody advice me, ill be grateful,
Regards,
Daman

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic