• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

delete using ftp protocol

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am trying to delete a file using the FTP protocol. I was looking at the URL class but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this....do I have to write an ftp client in order to perform this deletion using ftp?
thanks steph

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think there is a way to delete a file with a simple URL.
You have to open a FTP control connection, then USER, PASS, CD, and DELETE. You won't do this with a URLConnection object. You will have to use a Socket object. Or find an implementation of an FTP Client in Java.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Michael Zalewski:
I don't think there is a way to delete a file with a simple URL.
You will have to use a Socket object.

Does URLConnection class is only helpful for making http url connections ? . for any other protocol why is not advisable to make use of URLConnection class.
P.S : Sorry for deviating from the original topic.

Thanks in advance

Michael Zalewski
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by raghav mathur:

Does URLConnection class is only helpful for making http url connections ? . for any other protocol why is not advisable to make use of URLConnection class.
P.S : Sorry for deviating from the original topic.

Thanks in advance

URLConnection is used to make a connection to any URL. It can even be ftp://server/.../file. But the 'ftp://' protocol only lets you receive the file. As far as I know, you cannot even use 'ftp://' to send a file to the server.
The problem is that the URL protocol 'ftp://' is only a subset of the FTP protocol. To get the full function of FTP, you will have to either find another FTP client for java, or write your own socket driver.
Here's the fun part. To speak FTP, you actually need *two* sockets, one for control and one for data. You send the FTP commands such as DELETE or LIST to the control socket, and receive a response such as "200 OK". You send and receive the files to be uploaded or downloaded to the data socket.
I am certain that there must be a good open source FTP client in 100% Java out there. I don't know where though. Anyone?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's an LGPL one here that looks nice and simple. Haven't tried it though. If you also want NNTP, SMTP, POP3, finger, the works, then try NetComponents which comes with a more restrictive license.
- Peter
[ October 31, 2002: Message edited by: Peter den Haan ]

Raghav Mathur
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the links Peter . I think they are going to be very helpful in my proxy server implementation .
[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: raghav mathur ]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic