• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Kill an HttpURLConnection

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have an HttpURLConnection that talks to a partner system which sometimes never responds. The code to read the response hangs forever. I'd like to impose my own timeout on the wait so I handed the connection to a timer tasks that waits 30 seconds and then calls disconnect() on the connection. This doesn't interrup the main thread, though.

Given an HttpURLConnection, any idea how I can blow the sucker up? Or maybe kill the other thread?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
If you're using sun JDK1.4 then you could use the sun specific properties

sun.net.client.defaultConnectTimeout (default: -1)
sun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout (default: -1)
These properties specify the default connect and read timeout (resp.) for the protocol handler used by java.net.URLConnection.

sun.net.client.defaultConnectTimeout specifies the timeout (in milliseconds) to establish the connection to the host. For example for http connections it is the timeout when establishing the connection to the http server. For ftp connection it is the timeout when establishing the connection to ftp servers.

sun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout specifies the timeout (in milliseconds) when reading from input stream when a connection is established to a resource.

If you're using sun jdk1.3 then you're probably out of luck.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic