• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

what infrastructure is required for jxta to be successful ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
what other infrastructure is needed for jxta to be infrastructure ?
I felt this question important, because sun's jini initiative was not successful especially not giving importance to these factors ( no broadband & other infrastructue )

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jini not successful? What in the world gave you that idea?

shailesh sonavadekar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
jini , successful ? I have not heard. you heard . you have live example. please clear my misbelifs.
plus , you are not answering the question in real sense & starting the another question. great. i like it.
where are you , Sing li? atleast we will get some genuine answers , even if we sound foolish.
[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: shailesh sonavadekar ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Michael Ernest:
Jini not successful? What in the world gave you that idea?

It would have to be this post (cut & pasted below)
QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael Ernest:

Incidentally, Jini is often hyped the same way: "You don't have to use RMI/CORBA -- what freedom!" Well, ok, but what alternatives do I have beyond those two? Whatever I feel like building myself? Wow, now I really do feel free...
[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: Michael Ernest ]
Anyhow - I'm new to p2p and jxta promises a lot (sounds wonderful BUT)...I'm still not sure what type of apps jxta is uited for.
I also stumbled upon Groove recently - (just read some articles) ? Does anyone(the author even) have any experience with/opinions about Groove?

Michael Ernest
High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by shailesh sonavadekar:
jini , successful ? I have not heard. you heard . you have live example. please clear my misbelifs.

Jini's still in what I would call an Early Adopter phase, but it's absolutely got some high-powered advocates. The ones I have direct experience with are mostly looking for alternatives to CORBA. I recently taught a Jini class, for example, to some developers at Raytheon and the Department of Defense.
As another anecdotal example, no fewer than 16 books have been published on the subject -- that should tell us there's a very real following.

plus , you are not answering the question in real sense & starting the another question. great. i like it.

Now now -- I've just given up on trying to answer exhaustively in one post. I happened to start with the most important 'question' first. This is my forum to moderate and a passionate subject to boot, so I'm not taking quick potshots just to score a free book.

where are you , Sing li? atleast we will get some genuine answers , even if we sound foolish.

Probably Sing has a paying job. And what's wrong with answers so far anyway?
[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: Michael Ernest ]

shailesh sonavadekar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
does having 16 books is yardstick for success of technology ? see AI. hundreds of books have been published. it has not come out of corridors of universities & research labs to common man.
But , thanks for the information.
Where I am denying the fact , you are not the moderator of the forum ? Am i denying ? Rather I should say , Am I forcing you to answer my questions ? if I am , then I am sorry for that.
you said something about you taking potshots at free-book. what made you feel so ? was my post suggesting something in that direction ?
sorry , Sing, If I have bothered you.
[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: shailesh sonavadekar ]

Michael Ernest
High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by shailesh sonavadekar:
does having 16 books is yardstick for success of technology ? see AI. hundreds of books have been published. it has not come out of corridors of universities & research labs to common man.

Surely you're not suggesting AI is a failure because it's not a popular success? Jini is what I would call an enabling or infrastructure technology. Such tools rarely make it to the 'common man.' For starters, the common man ain't a programmer. Even among 'common programmers,' distributed programming is something relatively few of them know. Your common programmer usually just wants to get something done. That's fine. But just because Jini is out there and most programmers don't have a direct use for it hardly makes it a failure.
And yes, 16 books on an enabling technology, I would call that the mark of a successful foundation technology.

Where I am denying the fact , you are not the moderator of the forum ? Am i denying ? Rather I should say , Am I forcing you to answer my questions ? if I am , then I am sorry for that.

I only meant to suggest, in light of your friendly observation that I was evading your question, that I wasn't trying to evade: just taking my time.

you said something about you taking potshots at free-book. what made you feel so ? was my post suggesting something in that direction ?

I was just having a little fun; it was simply an observation on how busy this forum has become with the giveaway in progress, and how many very broad questions have been asked this week. It was not intended as an attack on you.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Email and web postings are notorious for causing misunderstanding � even amongst very good friends. I�m sure that all of the comments were made with good intentions and not meant to offend anyone.
Actually � I have way too many non-paying jobs keeping me busy around the clock.
Here is my 2 cents on tech success ...
Mainstream success and "success in true innovations" are often running on two conflicting tracks.
Mainstream success, especially when applied to the modern IT world, depends a lot on:
- excellent marketing of the concept/product
- simplicity of solution � so the customer/developer will have confidence that they know what they�re buying/adopting immediately; people don't buy what they don't understand!
While mainstream success helps a lot of companies to make lots of short/mid-term profit, it is success in true innovation that moves the state of the art forward - and often benefits the world.
Some examples for those old enough to remember:
(1) Early Day Programming Languages�
the mainstream success of COBOL as a programming language � verbose and easy to understand English-like syntax
while success in true innovation continues to occur in other �research languages� such as Pascal and C, etc � considerably harder to learn and takes weeks or months to become fluent
(2) Early Days Networking
the early day mainstream success of BBS and USENET based relay connection using acoustic modems � easy to use and understand, connect up and download news and email
while success in true innovation continues to occur in TCP/IP � a very complex protocol stack that has far reaching potential � considerably harder to learn and takes weeks or months of commitment
(3) Today
The mainstream success of SOAP and dot NET, etc � a verbose and easy to understand text based visual tunneling protocol, an easy to understand client/server model of operation, leading to the re-invention of modernized mainframe timesharing services offered by a megalith
While success in true innovation continues to occur in technologies such as Jini and JXTA - distributed networking substrates that enable new category of applications -something that takes weeks if not months of commitment just to figure out what it is!
In every example above, there are repeat (and often invisible) consumers for the �true innovation� category of technology � one being embedded equipment manufacturer where all the advance technologies are �inside the box�, enabling them to blow away the competition; and another repeat consumer is the military, they just need to �stay one step ahead of the game�, enabling them to blow� well�.. enough said!
<boiler plate follows�>
Thank you, everyone, for a fascinating discussion this week and posting excellent questions. Congrats to the lucky winners.
Anybody who is interested in JXTA should definitely check out the open source site where everything is happening. http://www.jxta.org/ It is where I hang out. There are many commercial companies that are profiled there, complete with links to their websites and description of their products and services.
Of course, my book should also help you to get a quick start on it .
Best Regards,
Sing Li

I'm not dead! I feel happy! I'd like to go for a walk! I'll even read a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic