• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

RMI with Java 5 (Stubs + Security)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everybody!

I am studying Java RMI right now and it appears there are some differences between 1.1, 1.4 and 5.0 RMI. For example, generating stub and skeleton files with *rmic* are no longer required - "all stub classes are generated automatically, using the proxy mechanism" (Core Java 7th edition vol.2). From my personal experiment with RMI, the client and server don't need Blah_Stub.class anymore and the server doesn't need Blah_Skel.class.

The book, however, goes into detail of installing Security Manager for the client, but again from my personal experiment everything works fine without Security, provided the Remote interface is local to the client.

So I am really confused about what acutally happens under covers. All those stubs and skeletons are somehow "automatically generated" and stubs are handed to the client without any need for a security manager.

RMI technology creators tried to make it very easy to use, but with so much "automatic" stuff it gets too confusing for my taste.

Please help me understand RMI!!! Thanks a lot.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Forget about stubs and skeletons. You no longer need to worry about them, all you need is an RMI registry, your RMI server, and the remote interface.

Everything else is now fully transparent and there's no need to know about its implementation.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic