• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JSF 1.1 & 1.2 dilemma

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys,

I'd like to hear your opinions regarding which technology to use for a medium JSF application I'm expected to create.

On the left hand, I have JSF 1.1 which I can use in conjunction with Tomahawk components and Tomcat 5.5 which I'm very confortable with.

On the right hand, I have JSF 1.2 which have solved a lot issues regarding JSTL mixed with JSF.

However, I'm not very confortable with Sun Java System App Server 9 configuration, thus I will need some more time to let things working fine.

In addition, I'm not sure whether I can find all the set of components of Tomahawk (which is for JSF 1.1) if I start to use JSF 1.2

Could you please give some light on this ?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, my advice is to not use JSF at all and then you don't have to worry about all that mumbo jumbo. If you have to use JSF I'd suggest your safest bet is to stick with 1.1 if you are truly concerned about tomahawk components. The app server should be a non issue since Tomcat 6 is supposed to be JEE5 compliant. So I guess it really just boils down to components.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
you could use JSF 1.2 and Tomcat 5.5 with Facelets. You only have to transform your jsp files into xhtml files.

Cu
Alex

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tomahawk works with all JSF 1.1 compatible implementations. The JSF 1.2 reference implementation is backwards compatible with 1.1. Therefore, you can use Tomahawk 1.5 with JSF 1.2. I've been doing this and have not had any problems.

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"ShadowTMDG",
Welcome back to the JavaRanch!

We're a friendly group, but we do require members to have valid display names.

Display names must be two words: your first name, a space, then your last name. Fictitious names are not allowed.

Please edit your profile and correct your display name since accounts with invalid display names get deleted, often without warning

thanks,
Dave

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:
Well, my advice is to not use JSF at all and then you don't have to worry about all that mumbo jumbo. If you have to use JSF I'd suggest your safest bet is to stick with 1.1 if you are truly concerned about tomahawk components. The app server should be a non issue since Tomcat 6 is supposed to be JEE5 compliant. So I guess it really just boils down to components.

Actually, Tomcat isn't JEE5 compliant, it's compatible with the Servlet 2.5 and JSP 2.1 specifications. It doesn't implement all specifications defined by JEE5.

As stated elsewhere, if the components run in 1.1, then they should run in 1.2. I would highly recommend moving to 1.2.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Guys,

JSF 1.1 is comfortable with Tomcat 5.5.23 and JBoss 4.0.4GA
JSF 1.2 is comfortable with Tomcat only.

But in Jsf 1.1 having double click issue. you can overcome that by using filters.

Ryan Lubke
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How is JSF 1.2 only usable with Tomcat?

1.2 is used by all of the major EE 5 vendors that are currently certified.

1.2 can be used with Jetty....

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually, Tomcat isn't JEE5 compliant, it's compatible with the Servlet 2.5 and JSP 2.1 specifications. It doesn't implement all specifications defined by JEE5.

Do you have a link to this information? I wasn't aware of it.

Ryan Lubke
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Do you have a link to this information? I wasn't aware of it.

This page [1] shows the list of EE5 certified vendors.

[1] http://java.sun.com/javaee/overview/compatibility.jsp

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmm, what's interesting is Tomcat isn't listed on the 1.4 page either. And from the looks of the lists, it would seem they are all Application Servers where as Tomcat is just a container, for lack of a better term.

I'd guess that's where the lack of implemented specification comes in (EJB, JNDI, etc). And if that's the case, I still stand by what I said in the context of JSF since JSF isn't a full JEE stack framework. Is this is safe statement? If so, I'll edit my post.

Ryan Lubke
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hmm, what's interesting is Tomcat isn't listed on the 1.4 page either. And from the looks of the lists, it would seem they are all Application Servers where as Tomcat is just a container, for lack of a better term.

I'd guess that's where the lack of implemented specification comes in (EJB, JNDI, etc). And if that's the case, I still stand by what I said in the context of JSF since JSF isn't a full JEE stack framework. Is this is safe statement? If so, I'll edit my post.

Well, EE stuff aside, that left your argument with the components. 1.1 components will run in a 1.2 environment (backwards compatibility is important).

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic