• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Web Services/SOAP truly language neutral? Can I use COBOL, RPG?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Does Web Services/SOAP truly language neutral? Can I use COBOL, RPG to write Web Service functions?
It seems easy to use Java, VB, C# in web services. How about COBOL, RPG, PLI�?
Thanks.
Bruce

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Since a SOAP message is transmitted in plain text, it is hard to see how it could be any more open. Of course, having an XML parser in your language of choice is nice but not necessary.
Bill
------------------
author of:

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Were you thinking of Cobol on os/390 or more like Object cobol ? ..Kidding , it really doesnt matter what language you would use , take for instance SAP jumping onto the bandwagon with Others and deciding to webservice enable SAP ! ( Yes to java and "proprietary technology" - which i would prefer reading SAPkobol and no to .NET ) http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,5099254,00.html
Oh about cobol , you wouldnt be able to run webservices off a mainframe yet using Cobol and CICS , will have to make do with JCA ( if you cant afford middleware ) for now .

Originally posted by Bruce Jin:
Does Web Services/SOAP truly language neutral? Can I use COBOL, RPG to write Web Service functions?
It seems easy to use Java, VB, C# in web services. How about COBOL, RPG, PLI�?
Thanks.
Bruce

Bruce Jin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you all.
I will dig into this and see if I really can webservice enable one or two RPG programs on an AS400.
By the way Bill I enjoy reading your Java 2 Exam Cram book. I am now busy playing EJB and SOAP and can�t make time to go for the exam.
Bruce

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's what impression I had as well. If anything is language independant then it is also platform independant because of Java.
I think those languages need to have an implementation of Webservices to make it to work. For example if no one makes an implementation of Pascal then you cannot have webservices using that language.
It's like Java. If you don't have JVM implemenation for some OS then you cannot have java programs running on them.
Faisal

William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A single SOAP service can be very simple - I wrote a couple just for examples in the book I am working on. You don't HAVE to have XML or anything but string manipulation on the system that responds to a SOAP request with a SOAP response. Remember, those messages are pure text.
Bill

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Web Services are absolutely language neutral. In fact, IBM fully supports Web Services with an advanced SOAP implementation that handles stub and proxy generation from WSDL and connection to UDDI in VisualAge Smalltalk . In fact, sometimes new features come out in the Smalltalk release before the Apache Java code is done. (Which makes for some good natured competition since the developers are all close friends)
Kyle
------------------
Kyle Brown,
Author of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere
See my homepage at http://members.aol.com/kgb1001001 for other WebSphere information.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic