• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Testing if I can send SOAP Messages

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm working on an application that talks to a client's web application using SOAP. So the client has given use the url to send SOAP messages to.
Anyhow, as part of my validation code, I'll like to check if I can send messages to the client using the URL. The URL we have can be incorrect, point to the wrong place or some other problem.

In my validation can I just check if I can obtain a SocketConnection to the machine? For example:

Do I have to do more than that for my check?

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Don't check - but fail gracefully. It should be simple enough to provide the client with an incorrect URL to find out what exception is thrown by your particular SOAP stack (example) - then add code to deal with that exception gracefully. With HTTP you connect to send a request; what request are you going to send? If that URL is a SOAP endpoint you better send a SOAP request; if you have to send a SOAP request you might as well try to get some work done.
[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: Peer Reynders ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic