• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Suggested Improvements

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Since JavaRanch is setting up a new version, I have a few suggestions:
1. Give me a check box to forward all my private messages to my posted email address. No one seems to look at their private messages.
2. Provide a pop-up on entering the range if I have unread private messages (I know, someone else already asked for this).
3. Allow me to send private messages to myself. That way I can see what it looks like when I receive a private message without creating an extra persona.
4. Allow me to search the entire ranch, at least by member number. Provide a button when I look at someone's profile to see all posts by that person (same function, but where it is expected).
I'm still a Java intermediate, but I'm a pretty good programmer with time available. If I can help out with the new JavaRanch version, even as a beta tester, let me know.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
few more features
1. like replying to the post from our mail client itself
2. notfication for new messages on topics that someone has started (on progress it seems. it will be nice if it comes to effect fast )

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
While we're making suggestions, i'd like my history to be stored on the server, rather than as a cookie on my machine.
rational:
I go to work, and read the posts. i get up to date, then (eventually), i go home. i log in from my home machine, and it looks like i've never read anything for weeks - it's hard to remember what i've read and what i haven't.
just me 2 cents - please feel free to ignore.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by fred rosenberger:
While we're making suggestions, i'd like my history to be stored on the server, rather than as a cookie on my machine.

Actually, that's how the new version works!

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Karthikeyan Rajendraprasad:
few more features
1. like replying to the post from our mail client itself

This won't happen; it would open us up to too much spam.

2. notfication for new messages on topics that someone has started (on progress it seems. it will be nice if it comes to effect fast )

This, on the other hand, is a feature of the new software. You'll be able to watch any thread.

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mike Gershman:
Since JavaRanch is setting up a new version, I have a few suggestions:
1. Give me a check box to forward all my private messages to my posted email address. No one seems to look at their private messages.

Actual email notification about private messages is an option in the current Saloon; look in your profile and check the appropriate box.

2. Provide a pop-up on entering the range if I have unread private messages (I know, someone else already asked for this).

We do want to have a more prominent indicator for new private messages.

3. Allow me to send private messages to myself. That way I can see what it looks like when I receive a private message without creating an extra persona.

Hmm. Interesting.

4. Allow me to search the entire ranch, at least by member number.

Search is tricky, as we don't want to do anything that hammers the server. We're looking at some options.

Provide a button when I look at someone's profile to see all posts by that person (same function, but where it is expected).

There's a "view recent posts" link in everyone's profile in the current software; have you noticed it?

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A suggestion was Provide a button when I look at someone's profile to see all posts by that person (same function, but where it is expected).
Ernest replied: There's a "view recent posts" link in everyone's profile in the current software; have you noticed it?
This sounds more like a call to unify the two different "profile" systems used by UBB. I've never quite understood why they are (a) different, (b)unconnected, and (c) both called "profile".
The new software won't be as nutty as this.

Ranch Hand
Scala Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mike Gershman:

I sent you a PM, so you may look how it looks like.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic